Thread: Files not updating in nwf

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Exclamation Files not updating in nwf

For a particular project, there are 4 clash tests per floor - External Area 1, Internal Area 1, External Area 2, and Internal Area 2. At the beginning, I created one master nwf consisting of NWDs from different trades, then I make 4 copies of that nwf for the different tests. These NWDs were downloaded onto my company's network. The first run of clash test were fine. After the 2nd run of clash tests were done and being reviewed, the NWDs for the Area 2 tests didn't update, but Area 1's did. I checked the properties of the NWDs and it shows the source file as a previous version or from a particular trade's computer. (Note, I run the clash tests for Area 1 and someone else does Area 2) So in short, old files were used to run clash tests for Area 2 but Area 1 was fine even though they are copies of the master nwf file and none of the file names changed. Any idea how this could have happened???

All AUGI, all the time pauljordan's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Files not updating in nwf

Not without a map of exactly what you did...

From what I can filter through, you made an .nwf of four .nwd files. I think that's where your problem lies.

nwd files are like .pdf files, not really made to update. The .nwf files hold the links to the .dwg files you're using to make your model. When you open an nwf file, it goes and checks each link to see if the .dwg file is newer than the last time you opened the nwf file. How does it know?? When you created your .nwf file, NavisWorks made cache files called nwc files. They load a LOT faster than the dwg files.

So, what I think you need to do is create your .nwf files straight from the drawings you want to run clash reports on. Save that as a nwd file that your users can look at and work with. They don't need access to the nwf file. MY nwf files are locked away where only myself and my cad admin can access them and the cad admin doesn't do anything with NavisWorks.

Create all your batches, rules, and selection sets IN the nwf model, that way they're looking directly at the paths where your objects and drawings are located.

We run a lot of batch files on our projects. One batch file opens the .nwf file in the background and saves out a new .nwd every hour. That way your users are working with the freshest version of the models.

Another batch file actually copies the .nwd to the users computer and opens the version of NavisWorks they need to use to open the file. Meaning, I don't want all my users opening an .nwd with Manage as it's a much more expensive license and we have a very small number of networked licenses worldwide. If they're not helping with clash detection, Simulate is fine.

Our batch files also let us track who's had the file open and also saves previous versions of .nwds in case something happens.

Hope that helps.
    Give a man AutoCad, and he'll draw you a floor plan.
    Give a man Revit and he'll build you a house.
    Give Cadmama a couple of drinks and she'll have everyone singing Rockytop!