Thread: resize large imported AutoCAD object?

Login to Give a bone

Default resize large imported AutoCAD object?

Hi,

I am new to Maya. I would like to do a short animation showing the connection details of a historic bridge. I imported the 3D model of the bridge from AutoCAD. ...so far so good. The bridge is 130' long. The model dwarfs the grid plane. Should I resize the bridge to be smaller? I'd like to know the scale of objects in case I import other models from AutoCAD. I could scale everything I bring in to, say, 10%.

My goal is to have an animation that zooms into a bridge connection and then all the parts "explode" and then go back together. Lots of tutorials in my future.

Thanks for any help!

Jeremy

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: resize large imported AutoCAD object?

FWIW - I would not resize, or scale the entities brought into Maya from AutoCAD.

Maya can handle unimaginably immense scenes, and you are not relegated to staying within the default grid plane. I've modeled in scenes that were thousands of times larger than the default grid plane, never mind when you combine multiple models into your kinematics, etc..

The only real limitation is that which your hardware will impose on your hyperspace environment.

HTH
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: resize large imported AutoCAD object?

The Preserve drawing origin option is used to define where the DWG/DXF file will be placed when it is inserted into a SketchUp file. Check this box if you want to place the DWG/DXF file at the origin, as originally defined in the DWG/DXF file. Do not check this box if you want the DWG/DXF file to be placed near the SketchUp origin.