Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coffered ceiling and Trim profile sweeps. How to?

Login to Give a bone

Default Coffered ceiling and Trim profile sweeps. How to?

Hey Revit gurus, 3?s

1- I'm looking to make a Coffered ceiling and sweep it around a perimeter.

2- Create a trim profile and be able to sweep it around a complicated line (w/o intersecting errors)

3- create a void for fluted edges in Wall Panel trim work

I've added the .rfa of the ceiling profile that I want to sweep and perimeter as well the trim profile with a perimeter line to sweep along. Also are images to help show where I'm trying to achieve with the ceiling and voids for the Wall panel.

Your help is greatly appreciated!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by csteinke.design220819; 2012-02-24 at 06:35 PM.

Certifiable AUGI Addict Dimitri Harvalias's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Coffered ceiling and Trim profile sweeps. How to?

Welcome to the forums.
    The first thing you want to do is STOP use masses for these families.
    The second thing I would do is take a step back and decide if you need to have these as separate families at all or if it might be better to model them as integral sweeps that can be placed at the same time as your walls.
    Scott Brown did a very thorough presentation at AU (several years running if memory serves) and you can download the documentation here if you are on subscription and have access to the AU archives.
    http://au.autodesk.com/?nd=class&session_id=7074
    Take a look at this document and some of the thought processes behind his workflow and it will open your eyes to endless options (and that's a good thing )

Login to Give a bone

Awesome. Thanks for the input! I'm going to check out the AU link today. I don't have a subscription, but I believe if it was prior to 2011 then the video files are free to members as well.

As you probably can tell, I've never had any formal education or attended any seminars for using Revit. Everything I know has been from teaching myself. "Custom" profiles and editing families is something new for me.

Any input and constructive criticism is greatly appreciated and welcome!

Thanks again,
    Chad

Login to Give a bone

I have watched over 10hrs of tutorials today on making families etc. I still can't get the profile for the ceiling to work. I get an error every time. Have any ideas or have you ever done such a profile?

Login to Give a bone

Hi Chad,
    The 'self-intersecting geometry issues arise from trying to get the sweep too perfect. Revit won't allow you to bring the bottom point of the sweep to a perfect point. it will create a line segment of '0' length causing the issue. See the attached sample file.
    If you zoom in on the one corner you should see that it gets the tight corner pretty close to zero (about 1.5m before it breaks). If you can find a millwork sub that can build to the kind of tolerance please send their number to me (along with the name of the framer who can build the supporting wall)
    Hopefully this gets you closer to where you need to go.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for your help. I couldn't open your file because Revit isn't backwards compatible I guess????
    I did what you recommended... I think. I did a Component-> Model in place -> Put Reference Plane where it needed to be and Did a Straight Sweep 8 Times around my parameter. I'm guessing that's not the correct way, but I can't seem to get it to work any other.
    I'll let you know if I get a contractor and Millworker who is an Ouber perfectionist!

How this project came about... I was asked by the firm I'm interning at to model a current project that they are working on in Acad and mimic it as best as I could in Revit. I've never dealt with organic shapes, intricate detail, etc. so this is all new to me. After watching the Screencast that you linked me to, I now feel I am only starting to scratch the surface of Revit.

Login to Give a bone

Chad,
    I'll try to get you a 2011 version of what I showed you but I'm not at my computer right now.
    Look into integral sweeps as part of your walls rather than trying to model this a separate family. To do that you create a 'profile' family that you can add to the wall. As you place the wall the profile is also modeled.

Login to Give a bone

Hi Dimitri,
    I have a new problem and I was hoping you could steer me into the right direction. I made a new Column with the "Column" Template but when I go to place it on various floors it stuck to Ground Floor or 0'-00". It's weird because I can see the base (5" square extrusion) moving floor to floor, but the rest of my column (body and crown molding) doesn't move. Whats your thoughts?
    I've opened up the Generic Floor template and loaded my custom column into it and than loaded into my project. If I do that, it works...downside is that the end user no longer has the options of changing materials to the base, body and crown.
    I've attached the family file and maybe you can upload it to a generic project w/ multiple floors and tell me what I'm doing wrong.
    Thanks for your time and help!
    Chad

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

If you search around, one method that is suggested for making coffers and crowns is to make them from Fascias.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Hey, Chad.

Just took a look at your column family. The height of your column doesn't change because the geometry doesn't reference the Upper Ref Level. When creating a family, you have to tell the geometry how to move when you change the size of things. Also, consider using extrusions more often and the sweeps less. Everything (except your column capitol) can be an extrusion and you'll find it much easier working with extrusions.

I've attached a family modified from your own. You'll see that I've created the capitol at the Upper Ref Level and added a reference plane at the bottom of the capitol and the top of the base. The reveals in in the sides of the column are now extrusions with their extents aligned and locked to the two reference planes I added. If you move the Upper Ref Level up or down, everything should move together. When you create a family, you should always "flex" all your parameters to make sure everything moves the way you expect it to.

Good luck. You jumped into Revit on a project with a lot of detail. Not an easy way to learn, but I'm sure you'll be rewarded if you stick to it.

Cheers,
    Damon

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast