Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Coffered ceiling and Trim profile sweeps. How to?

Certifiable AUGI Addict Dimitri Harvalias's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Coffered ceiling and Trim profile sweeps. How to?

Damon,
    Nice summary. I would humbly suggest that the flutes be done by adding geometry (solid) rather than subtracting (void) for a couple of reasons.
    First - Voids tend to be less efficient when creating families and, personally, I would find it easier to define the final outline of what I wanted rather than defining what I wanted to take away.
    Second - I would probably prefer to add the fluting as trim around whatever the structural column is. This would allow for more flexibility in take-off, pricing, construction sequencing, display control etc. More of a 'big picture' approach than may be required but I tend to like to do things this way.

Login to Give a bone

So are going to make a model so I can compare

Login to Give a bone

So I checked out your column and Thank You! It definitely helped explain some problems I was having. Two more questions about the column.

Why do you say less of Sweeps and More of Extrusions? Is that personal preference? I find sweeps easy and loading profiles extremely helpful!

On the crown molding of my column seems to be having problems now and I'm not sure how to go about fixing it. Problem is when I go to flex. It flexes fine one way but when I go to put it back to one of the other parameters that I've set up (2'x2' --> 2'x2") it doesn't go back

Login to Give a bone

I'm really starting to pound my head against the wall at this point. I took your suggestions on laying out the column, minus the extrusions, but I still can't get this column to jump from one floor to another without problems. If you have a minute check it out, I must be overlooking something, but I've spent more than 2 hours trying every alternative I could think of, but can't get it to work properly.
    Thanks for your help
    Attached Files Attached Files

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri Harvalias View Post
    Damon,
    Nice summary. I would humbly suggest that the flutes be done by adding geometry (solid) rather than subtracting (void) for a couple of reasons.
    First - Voids tend to be less efficient when creating families and, personally, I would find it easier to define the final outline of what I wanted rather than defining what I wanted to take away.
    Second - I would probably prefer to add the fluting as trim around whatever the structural column is. This would allow for more flexibility in take-off, pricing, construction sequencing, display control etc. More of a 'big picture' approach than may be required but I tend to like to do things this way.
    Dimitri,

Thanks for the feedback. Those are all very good reasons to do it differently than I did. I was working mostly to make Chad's family work, but your I can see that your method would be better. Particularly not using a void, you can make a single extrusion for the column. Would that make it more difficult to flex the column's width and depth, though? With voids, you can position and dimension them. If you really wanted, you could array them to control the number of flutes depending on the column dimensions.

For create the fluting as trim, would you make this an architectural column family and use it in conjunction with a structural column? Or would it be something else?

Chad, since this is your first custom family, I think your issues are not so much about the column family and more about family creation in general. I'd highly recommend watching a few video tutorials if you haven't already. Family creation is quite tricky. As for the sweeps vs. extrusions, I think of it this way: if it can be extruded, I use an extrusion. If the profile has to follow a non-linear path, I use a sweep. So for the fluted column and the base (as you drawn them), it is just an extrusion. The column capitol cannot be drawn as an extrusion, so a sweep makes sense.

Your family wasn't flexing because the body and capitol of the column were not referencing your "Column Top" reference plane. I've edit your family again (the column body is just an extrusion, no voids, as Dimitri suggested) and set the references correctly. When I redrew the capitol, I set the reference plane of the sweep's path to the "Column Top". Keep at it. It takes quite some time to master families.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Thanks a lot from all

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123