Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Coffered ceiling and Trim profile sweeps. How to?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Coffered ceiling and Trim profile sweeps. How to?

Thanks guys for the awesome input! I'll give the column a look tonight or over the weekend Damon. I appreciate your advice!

Login to Give a bone

Well I was anxious to open your file Damon, but the "Open any Revit file type" under the file tab apparently doesn't like files created in previous version of Revit. Not backwards compatible... or forward compatible. I don't even know if that's correct terminology, but that's ridiculous. I'll have to look into later. Thanks again though for your time and effort!

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

I edited it in 2012. What version are you using? I'd be happy to post a 2011 version if that would be helpful.

Login to Give a bone

I'm running 2011, but upgrading to 2012 over the wknd. How do you get the "Top Reference" to snap to the top of the crown? I placed the Top Reference on the top of the crown and tried to add a parameter (Lower Ref to Upper Ref.), but I get an error
    "Labeling this dimension would overconstrain the sketch."

Thanks

Certifiable AUGI Addict Dimitri Harvalias's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Chad,
    I have attached a 2011 version of the integral sweep I mentioned before.
    You'll notice that the thickness of the supporting wall can affect when you get your intersecting geometry warning.
    One note: what I'm suggesting, and the method described in Scott's documentation, has the sweep as an integral part of the wall assembly not added as a secondary element. Not necessarily the solution all the time but it does save a lot of manipulating multiple objects.
    Have a look.

The column constraint issue has to do with the default behaviour for columns. You can't add a parameter for the height of the column it is controlled inside the project by the top and base constraints of the column.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Can the extrusions use profiles that I create? That was the main reason why I went with the sweep vs. the void extrusion.

Login to Give a bone

Yes. Create profile families. Profiles are used for everything from curtain mullions to fascias to slab edges. They can be sketched in-place, as you did, or saved as re-usable families so you don't have to recreate the sketch every time you want to use it.

Login to Give a bone

Sorry if these seem like a bunch of "newb" questions, but I can never seem to find the answers via search unless I ask.
    I have been making profiles within the "profile template" for the reasons you mentioned...not having to re-create them over and over.
    Once I enter the Extrusions type I don't see where it lets you load a profile...am I missing something here? Obviously I must be.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

OK, I think there are two issues here:
    1. Profiles for use in walls sweeps.
    2. The profiles used in the column family.

For the column family, I don't think you gain anything from using a profile family to create the fluting in the column. Just create an extrusion and sketch the shape you want it to take.

For the wall sweeps that Dimitri is talking about, that is where you'll create a profile family, load it into your project, and use it in a wall type.

Now, back to getting your column to flex correctly...
    1. In the Ref. Plan view, start a new void extrusion.
    2. Sketch the (negative) shape of the flute(s) and finish the extrusion.
    3. In an elevation view that shows the void you just created, draw a ref. plane at the top of the column base and the bottom of the column capitol.
    4. Dimension from the Lower Ref. Level to the ref. plane at the top of the column base. Lock the dimension or make it a parameter.
    5. Dimension from the ref. plane at the bottom of the column capitol to the Upper Ref. Level. Lock the dimension or make it a parameter.
    6. Using the align tool, first click the ref. plane at the top of the column base, then the bottom of the void extrusion. A unlocked padlock symbol shows up: click it to lock it. Again with the align tool, click the ref. plane at the bottom of the column capitol then the top of the void extrusion. Click the lock again.
    7. Select the Upper Ref. Level and change it's height by clicking on its dimension to edit. The column height should change and the void extrusion for the fluting should, too.
    I've attached a step-by-step image of this process and the 2011 column family started as in the images. See if those help. Creating families is a very difficult thing to learn.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by csteinke.design220819 View Post
    Once I enter the Extrusions type I don't see where it lets you load a profile...am I missing something here? Obviously I must be.
    Unfortunately extrusions don't give you the option to use a pre-defined profile. All other forms do and you access the profiles from the ribbon when you define the form.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast