Thread: Circuit Breaker / Rating Parameter

Login to Give a bone

Default Circuit Breaker / Rating Parameter

I've seen the answer to this question, but I'm hoping the answer has changed since that thread (1-2 years old).

Can the MOPD (breaker size) from a mechanical device such as an RTU be linked to the "rating" parameter which populates the panel schedule breaker size?

Or, are there any other user-friendly ways of getting that MOPD into my panel?
    My firm is just starting Revit. How are other firms doing this?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Circuit Breaker / Rating Parameter

Manually size each circuit rating size per its load.
    Matthew Danowski, PE, LEED AP BD+C
    Project Electrical Engineer
    Baltimore, MD

Login to Give a bone

The circuit breaker rating is a default setting...which seems stupid...but at the same time one does need the ability to control breaker size regardless of what the load on that circuit is showing. It would be nice if it sized it...but still allowed manual input as well. What I have started doing is creating an electrical circuit schedule, with load, panel name, circuit number (or whatever info you want), and circuit breaker rating. I also add calculated parameters as part of the field selection, where I calculate the amps for each circuit, the difference between that and the default amp rating, and then the suggested size based on the calculated amps and 25% increase (company standard). Using filters (to see only circuits that meet criteria you set) and conditional formatting (colors for cell values based on criteria you set) I can quickly see actual load, the , what circuits exceed the default, and what the breaker size should be (based on standard breaker sizing). I can then enter that value into the breaker rating field which updates the panel schedule. I find it pretty handy for the small percentage of times that breakers are larger than our default. The calculated parameter is a little complicated b/c of all the conditional formula statements required but in my opinion was worth the time up front.
    Last edited by nmulder; 2012-07-02 at 03:45 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by nmulder View Post
    The circuit breaker rating is a default setting...which seems stupid...but at the same time one does need the ability to control breaker size regardless of what the load on that circuit is showing. It would be nice if it sized it...but still allowed manual input as well. What I have started doing is creating an electrical circuit schedule, with load, panel name, circuit number (or whatever info you want), and circuit breaker rating. I also add calculated parameters as part of the field selection, where I calculate the amps for each circuit, the difference between that and the default amp rating, and then the suggested size based on the calculated amps and 25% increase (company standard). Using filters (to see only circuits that meet criteria you set) and conditional formatting (colors for cell values based on criteria you set) I can quickly see actual load, the , what circuits exceed the default, and what the breaker size should be (based on standard breaker sizing). I can then enter that value into the breaker rating field which updates the panel schedule. I find it pretty handy for the small percentage of times that breakers are larger than our default. The calculated parameter is a little complicated b/c of all the conditional formula statements required but in my opinion was worth the time up front.
    Hey can you send me the formula for this calculated parameter..my coding or excel skills suck!!