Thread: Nested xref problems

Login to Give a bone

Default Nested xref problems

Hi, I'm using Autodesk CAD 2013. I set up the following: xref1 and xref2 are survey items they are refrenced into the survey xref, which is then refrenced into drawing1. In the survey xref the layers are set to grey. When the survey is refrenced into drawing1 it brings in the colours in xref1 and 2. How do I get the surve to come into drawing1 in grey as set up in the survey xref?
    Thanks

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Nested xref problems

Quote Originally Posted by sol.tweedie354060 View Post
    Hi, I'm using Autodesk CAD 2013. I set up the following: xref1 and xref2 are survey items they are refrenced into the survey xref, which is then refrenced into drawing1. In the survey xref the layers are set to grey. When the survey is refrenced into drawing1 it brings in the colours in xref1 and 2. How do I get the surve to come into drawing1 in grey as set up in the survey xref?
    Thanks
    Unfortunately the layer states are drawing specific.
    So even though you have set the layers to gray in the "survey xref" that's where it stops.
    However, the easy fix is to simply to into those xref layers while in drawing 1, set them to gray.

Make sure you set VISRETAIN to 1 so it keep that layer state and any future changes to the xref layers, if not, the xrefs will come back in however they were saved last.

HTH

Login to Give a bone

Hi Tedg, Thanks for your reply, thats pretty much what I did, I set up a Lman state in the survey xref then imported it to the drawing. Then in the drawing I ran the Lman and then set Visretain to 1. This gets it to work, but I know on previous jobs we have set the layers in the survey to grey and imported that to the drawings and it would retain the layer settings from the survey xref rather than resorting to the settings of the nested xrefs. Thanks

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by sol.tweedie354060 View Post
    .. This gets it to work, but I know on previous jobs we have set the layers in the survey to grey and imported that to the drawings and it would retain the layer settings from the survey xref rather than resorting to the settings of the nested xrefs. Thanks
    Well, if you're talking about setting the "base drawing" layers (the one you will be xreffing into other drawings) to gray, that is a quick fix.
    Set the layers to gray (and any other layer states you want carried through) as mentioned, go into the drawing(s) you have that referenced into, set visretain to 0, reload, and then reset visreatin to 1 and save.

Does that help?

(note: "base drawing" is the actual drawing with the layers in it, not a drawing with an xref in it you want to manipulate)
    Last edited by tedg; 2014-09-22 at 04:21 PM. Reason: added note