See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Are Dual Xeons Obsolete for CAD?

Login to Give a bone

Default Are Dual Xeons Obsolete for CAD?

I've noticed that AutoCAD is still using one giant process on one core and really isn't taking advantage of multiple cores. The only benefit comes in the fact that the Operating system is more distributed leaving AutoCAD to have a core all to itself.

I understand why everyone's default position is to stick with Dual Xeons but since the standard for processors now is multiple cores on one chip do we still really need Xeons? Anyone know of any sites that have done comparisons and benchmarks?

It might be that Xeons vs Multicores are like the AMD64 vs Pentium 4 where even though it never really took advantage of 64 bit processing power at the time the AMD64 was just a better chip in general.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Are Dual Xeons Obsolete for CAD?

DUAL Xeons? For CAD? Singles, maybe... duals are overkill. A dual Xeon is something better suited for a mini-server running SQL Server or the like.

"Redundant" might be a better term than obsolete. A lot of IT folks and senior executives who do the purchasing are hung up on the term "workstation". You used to need a workstation-class computer to run something like AutoCAD since the conventional home PC wasn't up to the task. With the rise in gaming there isn't much need for genuine workstations *but* the term is still in use for computers in engineering companies, even if its a gaming rig they still call it a workstation. When they go looking for hardware they look up "workstations" and they find Xeons. The hardware vendors use the term "workstation" very specifically rather than the more general term used in offices.

Give the OS and software a few more generations and it *might* become sufficiently multi-threaded to where dual and single Xeon processors (or their successors) will outshine a gaming PC.

Login to Give a bone

"overkill" & "redundant" are good words for Xeon processors. And, let's not forget that most quote workstations unquote from the big builders are going to pair their Xeon with ECC ram at a substantial premium.

I seriously doubt that Autodesk will ever make the effort to efficiently re-write their software to take advantage of either multiple cores or GPU processing. After all, it hasn't happened in the WinNT to Win7 era, so why expect it ever? Cloud is such a vendor friendly buzzword, that (at least according to Carl Bass) most development effort is ending up there.

despite the reality that multi-threading the current GUI, offloading vector calcs to the GPU, implementing local-grid computing for rendering, and using standards based technology would be in their customers and users best interests.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

"Teh cloud" is like Beany Babies. Good idea or not, nobody wants to be the last one to the party. In the case of software, the last ones in will have to accept standards driven by the earlier arrivals.

I don't think the two points of cloud services and multi-threaded software are mutually exclusive. The nature of cloud processes being hosted on large scale remote servers may very well prompt the development of multiple, independantly running, discrete processes which are necessary for desktop multi-threaded applications. I just hope they find a good balance between the two.

Login to Give a bone

There's nothing nicer than having AutoCad running on a separate processor. But lets also revert to the fact that no matter how powerful your desktop/workstation is there are outside forces that will slow down your system. File servers for one if you are Xrefing drawings you still have a slow down since the network is bogged down. Also if your licences are not local have fun with the fact AutoCad checks constantly for a suitable key.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by j_follett_88 View Post
    There's nothing nicer than having AutoCad running on a separate processor. But lets also revert to the fact that no matter how powerful your desktop/workstation is there are outside forces that will slow down your system. File servers for one if you are Xrefing drawings you still have a slow down since the network is bogged down. Also if your licences are not local have fun with the fact AutoCad checks constantly for a suitable key.
    On the right path, partly at least. Its easy to create bottlenecks by going overkill in one direction (say, processor) and cheaping out on another (like a slow HD). License checking is virtually irrelevant though. Our LM servers are in another city, with no noticeable effects.

Login to Give a bone

Hi all,
    came across this thread as this is still a problem with 2014.
    I have found one possible solution though. I remember reading somewhere the AutoCAD is actually a dual core app meaning it won't take advantage of a quad core or higher. In order to experiment with this I have sectioned the application off to 2 physical cores on my second xeon processor and have noticed dramatic improvements in load times for visual styles, 3d orbits, etc. hope this helps anyone still dealing with these issues.

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

I came across this while looking for information on optimizing my mew HP z820 workstation with 2014 Map 3D. it has dual Xeon's processors 64Mb ram and 2-2T drives. Should be a barn burner, but it isn't. with all the processors in the task manager I thought it would scream, it doesn't. I am hoping to find some information on how to speed things up a little. the ESRI software seems to run very quickly indeed, just AutoCAD seems unable to take advantage of the extra resources. Any help would be appreciated. I'll check back from time to time.

Login to Give a bone

On the hardware side, about all you can do with that config is swap out the C: drive for a SSD disk.. Or overclock it and add water cooling....