Thread: Parametric Array Window Family

Login to Give a bone

Unhappy Parametric Array Window Family

Hello all! This is my first time posting in the forum after quietly using it a ton in the past to battle Revit woes...

I have been attempting to create a custom wood window family that uses arrays to allow it to be controlled parametrically in order to avoid having to create multiple families based on the number of windows needed in a particular instance. The family was created by nesting a generic model of an individual window unit into a wall based window family that is then used for the trim and mullions. The nested unit family is then arrayed and given parameters to do so. I believe the problems I'm having stems from my second array, which is made up of in place extrusions used to create the middle mullions of the family. Everything seemed to be going very smoothly until I finished inputting all the parameters and tested the family in elevation to find that the mullions were not flexing vertically with the rest of the family. After wrestling with that for a while and not getting anywhere, I moved on hoping to have some sort of epiphany later about it. The next problem was the clear mullion space parameter that I created, which was intended to allow us to flex the amount of space between windows based on structural needs (currently in the model, we are showing a 4 1/2" space for 3 studs). When I got to adjust that parameter there seems to be a ton of disconnect to the point that I'm throwing my hands up.

Any tips or advice would be HUGELY appreciated as I'm now at the point of being ready to scrap the whole idea, and build individual families from here on out, but feel like it's a shame if I can't get something more parametric to work using arrays.

EDIT: I've just recreated the model a second time from scratch hoping to simplify everything and see if I could solve the problem. With this new family (Casement - Array.rfa), I nested two generic models in for both the window units and mullions. Everything is working perfectly UNTIL I actually cut the voids. The second I cut the voids into the wall I start getting tons of conflicts. The attached family is working perfectly right now because the voids that are modeled are uncut so people can see the difference. I feel SO close! Any ideas?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by pmolick324814; 2012-03-01 at 11:25 PM. Reason: EDIT: To add new family

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Parametric Array Window Family

I think you are making this way too difficult for yourself. Two possible approaches. The easiest one first, but perhaps won't give you the mullions the way you want.

1. Instead of modeling your window as a generic model, make it a window. Then it will cut the wall automatically. Start a (second) new window family and delete the wall opening that is there by default. Load the single window you created into this new family and place an instance of it in the wall. It automatically cuts the wall because that is what windows do. Then array it, add some parameters for the number of windows and window spacing, and you're on your way.

2. You can use your generic model casement window, but instead of cutting new voids, just make the opening bigger based on how many windows you have placed in it. Attached is an example of this method that I started. I loaded the mullion and started creating some parameters, but ran out of time. This might give you a good start, though.

Login to Give a bone

Thank you for the response! I actually continued to work on the second family last night and got it working the way I want it after unlocking some things from the wall itself. Your suggestions though seem much smarter as I move forward, so I will give this a try. I'm not sure why, but somewhere along the way I was told (or read) that when making a window family, I should create a generic wall based model and then change it to window type, as opposed to just creating a window family. I had no idea why this was, but just assumed (never a good idea), that it was correct. Avoiding having to deal with voids would certainly preferable, so I'll be trying your suggested method.

For reference, I've attached my now working family.

Thanks again so much for the helpful tips!

Quote Originally Posted by damon.sidel View Post
    I think you are making this way too difficult for yourself. Two possible approaches. The easiest one first, but perhaps won't give you the mullions the way you want.

1. Instead of modeling your window as a generic model, make it a window. Then it will cut the wall automatically. Start a (second) new window family and delete the wall opening that is there by default. Load the single window you created into this new family and place an instance of it in the wall. It automatically cuts the wall because that is what windows do. Then array it, add some parameters for the number of windows and window spacing, and you're on your way.

2. You can use your generic model casement window, but instead of cutting new voids, just make the opening bigger based on how many windows you have placed in it. Attached is an example of this method that I started. I loaded the mullion and started creating some parameters, but ran out of time. This might give you a good start, though.

Login to Give a bone

one reason to avoid using the windows a family and openings is because if you are adding multiple voids to it you can't have opening and voids cut the same wall.

I am having a similar array problem with a a window i am making. I am trying to array mullins for a variable length sidelight. I have the array working as it extends out but I am trying to find a way to have an array of one for when the sidelight width is less than 3'-0." I have formulas as such.

sidelight length
    numb of mullins = roundup(sidelight length/3'-0")
    width of mullin = sidelight width/ numb of mullins

with these formulas i can stretch the sidelight to any length and have mullins put in at equal distance not to excede 3' distance. however, I need the family to work even if the the sidelight width is less than 3' and no mullins are needed do you know how to fix this?

Thanks for any help you might have.
    Last edited by matthiro443920; 2013-11-19 at 01:21 PM.