Thread: Duct Lining Visibility

Login to Give a bone

Default Duct Lining Visibility

I am using Revit 2012 and i have run into an issue regarding Duct lining. When i have part plans, i typically go through and hide elements within the part plan. However if i have ductwork that is lined within the part plan the duct will hide but the lining will not. As a result i have bits and pieces of ductwork within the part plan which causes the drawing to look incomplete and incorrect.

I considered using a masking region to block all the ductwork within specific rooms but this does not work when i cross walls.The same effect occurs with insulation as well. I've considered turning it on/off for prints but this will be very tedious as acoustical lining is required almost everywhere in this particular project.

I can use break lines but this will only hide a small portion of the ductwork or atleast the straight runs entering the part plan.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Duct Lining Visibility

I realize this is nearly a year later, but I recently ran into this same problem - where the ducts are "Hidden in View" inside of an Area Plan, but the duct linings still show when printed. It's bizarre, because if you zoom in close enough, the linings disappear; but zoom out again and back they come.

I'm not sure if you ever found a solution, but here's what I did to fix it in my drawings:

1) Create a duplicate Duct Lining Type and call it something unique (In my case, I duplicated "Fiberglass Board" to create "Fiberglass Board Hide")
    2) Change any Duct Linings you don't want to show up in your overall Floor Plan to your new Duct Lining Type (leave the ducts you want to show unchanged)
    3) Create a Visibility Filter for Duct Linings that selects any Duct Lining whose Type contains your unique name (I called mine "Lining Hide" and set the filter to search for Type containing "Hide")
    4) You'll need your actual Area Plan, and your overall Floor Plan to at least use two different visibility graphics/templates. In your overall Floor Plan, add your "Lining Hide" filter and uncheck the Visibility checkbox. This should hide any "Fiberglass Board Hide" Lining types, and leave the other linings to show. You'll still need to hide your ducts within the Area Plan as usual, but their linings should no longer show up.

Hopefully this is clear, let me know if you have any questions. It helps to have played around with the Visibility Filters before.

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Duct Lining Visibility

Hi bradg,

Thanks for this post as it was helpful for me to hide some ducting that had insulation.
    I found a different way though for doing this, by selecting the ducting that has insulation and then click on the edit insulation tab on the ribbon, then at the properties box under identity data -comments- ( your filter name ) excluding brackets . This all works as long as you filter by comments.

Hope this helps as well.

regards

zerocoolzmax