Thread: AutoCAD 2012 ribbon has icons but no text

I could stop if I wanted to michael.12445's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default AutoCAD 2012 ribbon has icons but no text

We are upgrading to AutoCAD 2012. On one computer, when 2012 is started, the ribbon appears, but it has only icons, and no text. If you hover the mouse over a ribbon icon, the tooltip does appear (with text). The tabs above the ribbon that normally say "Home," "Insert," "Annotation," "Parametric," etc., are there, but without the text, and collapsed in width. If you click on the red "A," you also see icons but no text, and two little rectangles in the lower right corner that are normally the "Options" and "Exit AutoCAD 2012" buttons. The buttons, tabs, icons, etc., are all functional, but you don't really know what they'll do until you click on them.

The computer is Windows XP, 32-bit, 4 GB RAM with the 3 GB switch turned on, and the video is "Plug and play monitor" on an NVIDIA Quadro FX 4600, screen resolution 1200 x 1084.

I remember some time ago seeing people report a similar problem with the Revit interface, but this is the first time I've seen it with AutoCAD. Anyone else experience this, or have any solutions?

Thanks!

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: AutoCAD 2012 ribbon has icons but no text

Quote Originally Posted by michael.12445 View Post
    We are upgrading to AutoCAD 2012. On one computer, when 2012 is started, the ribbon appears, but it has only icons, and no text. If you hover the mouse over a ribbon icon, the tooltip does appear (with text). The tabs above the ribbon that normally say "Home," "Insert," "Annotation," "Parametric," etc., are there, but without the text, and collapsed in width. If you click on the red "A," you also see icons but no text, and two little rectangles in the lower right corner that are normally the "Options" and "Exit AutoCAD 2012" buttons. The buttons, tabs, icons, etc., are all functional, but you don't really know what they'll do until you click on them.

The computer is Windows XP, 32-bit, 4 GB RAM with the 3 GB switch turned on, and the video is "Plug and play monitor" on an NVIDIA Quadro FX 4600, screen resolution 1200 x 1084.

I remember some time ago seeing people report a similar problem with the Revit interface, but this is the first time I've seen it with AutoCAD. Anyone else experience this, or have any solutions?

Thanks!
    Hmm, that's interesting.
    I see a thread on the autodesk forums where inventor was apparently doing this, but, don't recall seeing it elsewhere.
    I vaguely recall a problem with missing images myself a few years back (maybe r2005?) where I ended up having to do a repair install to get rid of the problem.

Could you perhaps post a screencap? It might help anyone else looking at this question.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost