Thread: Missing Desktop Content Center Files

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Question Missing Desktop Content Center Files

Hello,

I work for a company who does refrigeration and mechanical designs in Inventor. I am trying to update dozens of old assemblies.

The problem: every single assembly has unresolved references. The old Desktop Content Center files (2010) have been deleted off the hard drive and the assemblies will not recognize 2012 Content Center files located on a local Vault Server.

I have no idea what to do!

Things I've tried:

1. I installed new Desktop Content Center files and tried to point Inventor to the new library location (I did this with both Inventor 2010 and 2012 files).My Access Options were set to "Inventor Desktop Content".

2. I tried to replace files manually. This does not work because when I browse to the new library location (containing idcl files) it shows up empty in the "Resolve Link" dialogue box.

Please help! ANY information would be highly appreciated!
    Last edited by tstgelais352929; 2012-03-08 at 08:12 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Missing Desktop Content Center Files

Installing the content libraries does not work because the parts are generated on the fly as you use them. If you know what the missing parts are, you could create a dummy assembly, and insert all the parts you need, which will generate the files for your assemblies.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by tstgelais352929 View Post
    Hello,

I work for a company who does refrigeration and mechanical designs in Inventor. I am trying to update dozens of old assemblies.

The problem: every single assembly has unresolved references. The old Desktop Content Center files (2010) have been deleted off the hard drive and the assemblies will not recognize 2012 Content Center files located on a local Vault Server.

I have no idea what to do!

Things I've tried:

1. I installed new Desktop Content Center files and tried to point Inventor to the new library location (I did this with both Inventor 2010 and 2012 files).My Access Options were set to "Inventor Desktop Content".

2. I tried to replace files manually. This does not work because when I browse to the new library location (containing idcl files) it shows up empty in the "Resolve Link" dialogue box.

Please help! ANY information would be highly appreciated!
    What I have done in a similar situation here, is open the file and use the "Skip All" option on the unresolved parts. This will get you opened up, even though you have quite a mess. Then you can go through your browser and on the unresolved components... one by one (alas) "Replace From Content Center". If you have multiple instances of some, you can check the "Replace All" box on your Content Center dialog box as you are selecting the item to replace with.

The other posted option should work as well, assuming the parts are the same names as the missing ones. So you have a few things you can try.

Good luck!

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

There is an inventor addin that is automatically generating missing contente center parts
    check it out:

Login to Give a bone

Something we implemented to keep this from happening in the future was only using the custom option when creating content center items. It will not directly fix your current issue(unless you open 2 instances of inventor and open the assembly in one and create the custom missing parts in the other, save the custom parts in a location. Then link them to the assembly in the first{ I did this on a huge assembly once and changed the policy after})