Thread: Curtain Panel Pattern Based.rft Question

Login to Give a bone

Default Curtain Panel Pattern Based.rft Question

So I have been working with the Curtain Panel Pattern Based.rft and creating some new panels and placing them into a Curtain Wall based on a Mass using the Divide Surface tool. What I'm finding is odd behavior, on a true flat surface the edges are getting dropped off but on a more complex surface it is having no issues with the edges.

Can any enlighten me
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Curtain Panel Pattern Based.rft Question

I don't think it is odd behavior for Revit. On the flat surfaces in elevation, it looks like you have one or more perpendicular edges. Revit sees that it is flat, finds the perpendicular edges, and starts a rectangular, perpendicular grid from those edges and crops it along any non-perpendicular edges. By default, a pattern is set to "Partial", which means any components that overhang the surface are cropped.

On the curved surface, Revit subdivides the surface along the isoparameters of the surface. Isoparms fall along equal divisions of the surface from edge to opposite edge, so no matter what the shape, there are only full grids and therefore full panels.

This behavior could be good or bad depending on what you are designing. It was a choice the developers made to subdivide flat surfaces this way, which in many architectural cases makes a lot of sense. Personally, I wish there was a choice for flat surface to use a perpendicular, cropped grid or the isoparm curves of the surface, flat or not.

I wonder what would happen if you created a flat surface, warped it, subdivided it, the moved it back into plane...
    UPDATE: Nope, doesn't work! When you move the surface back into plane, it changes the subdivision so it crops it again.
    Last edited by damon.sidel; 2012-03-11 at 02:03 AM.

Login to Give a bone

You are right that the two that are losing the edges is a completely flat surface and the panel is perpendicular to the edge. The setting for Border Tile is set to partial because is seems to be the best setting for what I want.

So there is no way to get the edges to show that are missing? This seems silly...

Thanks for your feedback...
    Last edited by Jarod; 2012-03-11 at 03:51 PM.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

So, do you want rectangular panels? Then at the edges, you want non-rectangular panels to fill in whatever is left over? Or do you want all your panels to be non-rectangular in the same way the curved surface subdivides?

If the former, then I'd suggest the following:
    1. Set the Border Tile to "empty".
    2. Create an adaptive component that matches your pattern-based curtain wall component.
    3. Insert the adaptive component into each empty spot manually.
    You may need two adaptive components, one for 4-sided panels and one for 3-sided panels.

If you want the latter, then I think you'll have to use the Intersection tool.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for your help... Well getting closer, built a dumb-down version first to make sure I'm understanding the process... I did the override on the panel, changed the Component Extents to Fit to Tile and noticed that the panel came in on the wrong side... Can't seem to find a switch to flip it...

I went back to the adaptive compnenet and changed the direction on the extrusion but this seems silly to have to do that but it did work...
    Last edited by Jarod; 2012-03-12 at 04:06 PM.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

That looks good. Looks like it will work for you, right?
    As for flipping it, I always create a very, very simple panel first, with just enough geometry so that when I load it I know what is what. For example, I use a simple rectangular panel all the time: 4 adaptive points, connected by model lines. Each point has a vertical line from it where point 1 is longest and 4 is shortest. Then when loaded in, I know front from back, top from bottom. I keep that particular panel around for every use. I now have ones for the Rhomboid and Triangle (Flat) patterns, too.

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

I'm learning Revit 2016, and I browsed to find "Curtain panel pattern based.rft" and it's not included in the program, how can I download the file to finish my excercise
    Regards,