Thread: Switchboard Schedule Issues

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Switchboard Schedule Issues

Ok, so I just ran across this issue today, and trying to figure out if its a Revit issue or an issue with my template (I'm leaning towards Revit ). Ok, so we have a switchboard that uses breakers (so perhaps it would be better to call it a distribution board?). In the switchboard schedule "General Settings", I have the "Number of Slots Shown" set to "Variable based on max number of 1-pole breakers". In the "Circuits Table", I have the format for loads set to "Separate Phase Loads per Circuit", although I doubt it matters.

So the issue becomes, Revit treats each circuit as a 3-pole load (ie, Circuit 1 has phases A/B/C, Circuit 2 has phases A/B/C, etc), but it sizes the panel based on 1-pole loads. If I want a panel schedule to show 20 breakers (loads), in my family, I would set max #1 pole breakers to 60 (20 3-pole breakers), but this sets the switchboard schedule to 60 loads. If I set max #1 pole breakers to 20, the schedule displays correctly, but then I can only add 6 3-pole loads, and 2 1-pole loads. So the schedule layout isn't working with what is actually displayed (if that makes sense).

Eric Grey, where are you to explain this one?

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Switchboard Schedule Issues

Talking with a colleague of mine, it has been explained to me somewhat how Revit figures it. Panelboard 3-pole breakers are treated as 1-pole breakers to a switchboard. Therefore, you can connect as many panelboards to the switchboard as listed in the max 1-pole breaker count. But other 3-pole loads are treated as 3-pole breakers, and thus cause issues. To me, that is a major issue, as we typically run into instances where we are powering larger 3 phase loads directly out of the switchgear instead of a separate panel which is fed from the switchgear.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Glad I'm not the only one having this problem. I think the solution we're going to use is to re-assign the Equipment Type of our distribution panels from "Switchboard" to "Panelboard" and set the circuit configuration to "One Column." Then use the one column branch panel schedule. Not ideal, but it looks like it'll work. Here's a shot of the preliminary version. Still need to add a Frame Size parameter and make a few other tweaks.

DP.JPG

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Here's the problem: Revit sets the number of rows in the schedule based on the number of single pole breakers in the panel (assuming your schedule template has that option selected). However, it doesn't know that a 3-pole circuit uses 3 poles if the schedule is set to display a single row for a multi-pole circuit. With branch panel schedules, this can be modified by telling it in the schedule template to display multiple rows for multiple phase circuits. If the single row option is checked in the branch schedule, the same problem occurs.
    template options.JPG

The issue is that the switchboard schedule doesn't have the option to display multiple rows for multiple phase circuits, and Revit isn't smart enough to reduce the number of rows in the schedule based on the number of poles each circuit uses.