Thread: Revit randomly "Not Responding"

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Revit randomly "Not Responding"

Folks,

3-6 times a day for the last few weeks Revit will seemingly randomly get stuck for 5-10 minutes at a time. Sometimes it'll be after printing to PDF, other times it'll be after just changing views or reloading families.

My computer is well above minimum specs. I'm running Revit 2012. This problem has been apparent when working in old revit files or brand new ones or when the file is saved locally or on the network.

Any ideas what could be causing this or what tests I could run to isolate the problem? While the program is Not Responding, the CUP usage is at 0% and the RAM is still high (right now it's stuck at 907MB).

I have contacted Autodesk with this apparent glitch, but haven't heard back yet so thought I'd take it up with you.

Certifiable AUGI Addict Dimitri Harvalias's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit randomly "Not Responding"

Are you noticing any system slowdown while in other programs or is this strictly a Revit issue? If this is a relatively new issue do you recall making any system changes recently that may be affecting Revit?
    How frequently do you reboot your system; close and restart Revit?
    Slow file loads and application menu access have been tied to files opened on network locations that have become unavailable. Library locations can also be a culprit.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

no, no other slowdown in other programs. it is a relatively recent issue. I believe it's existed for 2 weeks now. No updates or patches or new software, other than the required Windows updates. I have patched Revit to service pack 2. I close Revit and reboot my machine regularly. Revit is restarted several times a day and the computers are restarted daily.

I've uninstalled Revit and am reinstalling presently.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

So I reinstalled Revit. The second half of yesterday and the first half of today had no problems. Now, however, the spinning blue disk has returned and Revit is "Not Responding." CPU usage is at 0% and Memory is at 1.2GB.

Son of a *****.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

Login to Give a bone

I hate to sound like a software developer here, but maybe your anti-virus is kicking in?
    Or there might be something on the server that's locking out your Revit files.
    Backup maybe?
    I've also heard (admittedly a while ago) of Win-Amp interfering with Revit.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

I was going to ask what other programs you have running at the same time...if any? DaveP mentioned WinAmp, and for good measure. One should also avoid using WMP as well as any music players from what I'm told. Can't help you on the grand scheme of things, but I'd recommend having an IT person look at this closely to find out what's going on in the background.

However, I will say that you shouldn't be so fast to uninstall and reinstall the program...that can cause new problems of its own if you don't follow the correct procedure. Since you already did, I need to ask...did you follow the ADSK clean uninstall procedure and edit the registry as well?

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet...linkID=9243099

These steps are pretty well documented and I always recommend following them.

I could stop if I wanted to Dr._House's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I'll jump in (even though this is MONTHS later) but my Revit is doing the exact same thing.. it goes into not responding anywhere from 3+ times a day and some don't last long, some last as long as 30 seconds. Autocad ALSO does this, which leads me to believe this can't be a "Revit" problem by itself. I've also noticed that when Revit/ACAD goes not responding my other open programs (excel, outlook, etc) do as well.

Here is the kicker. Today I didn't open Revit or AutoCAD and my PC never went into not responding. Therefore, whatever seems to be causing this is initiated by the Autodesk software, but affects everything else. One person in my firm reported it happening at 8:14a, 3:14p and 4:14p which was either an odd coincidence, or maybe another clue.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

This started happening to me when our RAID was replaced on our server with an automatic backup system. Anytime our server does a backup, which is at specific times, Revit takes 3-4 minutes to save a file to the server. I know, we need our RAID back, but the IT here sucks.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Dr._House View Post
    I'll jump in (even though this is MONTHS later) but my Revit is doing the exact same thing.. it goes into not responding anywhere from 3+ times a day and some don't last long, some last as long as 30 seconds. Autocad ALSO does this, which leads me to believe this can't be a "Revit" problem by itself. I've also noticed that when Revit/ACAD goes not responding my other open programs (excel, outlook, etc) do as well.
    I uninstalled Revit and after reinstalling everything was back to normal. All good month+ later.