Thread: Revit Modeling Problems for Profit and Pleasure

Login to Give a bone

Default Revit Modeling Problems for Profit and Pleasure

Hey all,

I'm brand new to the forums, but have been on Revit since '03. I am designing the Revit implementation program for my office, and as part of the training I want to have weekly modeling problems for the trainees to figure out for small prizes the next week.

What do you think would be a fun problem for new users to try and work through (I don't want them spending more than half an hour per problem)?

Certifiable AUGI Addict Dimitri Harvalias's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit Modeling Problems for Profit and Pleasure

Welcome to the forums.
    I'm guessing that you have done some of your introductory training?
    If that's the case I would suggest that you ask your new users to provide real world issues they have encountered on projects. Those could be current Revit projects or completed projects where they feel that a model based delivery might have been helpful.
    Another option would be to scour Revit projects in the office and find examples of 'less than ideal' modeling practices and have users propose a good, better, best set of answers along with why each is classified as such. The benefit of this approach is that you get people to think of multiple approaches as well as reinforcing the 'why' as much as the 'how'.

Login to Give a bone

We haven't started training as yet. Many of the people that will be part of the program haven't even opened the platform on their desktops.

I have a few ideas in mind, and asking the new users is a good idea. Do you remember anything from your training days, or from training that you have done about specific tools that new users seem to struggle with?

Thanks for the reply.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

In my firm we have 100's if not 1000's of standard room layouts from AutoCad. These include toilet rooms, patient rooms, offices, conference rooms & laboratories of every flavor. I have setup a project file for people to self train. In the project browser there are step-by-step views for people to progress through. Each view has a task relating to adding additional information atop the previous step. The end goal is for staff to not only get trained, but also recreate these standard rooms in Revit. The only 'Prize' an employee gets is knowledge of a new software and to remain competitive in the workplace, and that should be enough.

my 2 cents,
    Jeff S.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

A few good scenarios to set up in a learning environment would be:
    a) wall joins - set up a few complex connections that look good in plan, but dicey in elev/3D, and give them a few starter recommendations to resolve it.
    b) creating, placing multiple instances and then modifying a small group - this makes the point of group origin placement very memorable, very fast.
    c) wall profiles - set up a scenario of walls with edited profiles extending well above the wall's original settings, with windows placed in the profile zone. then release the profile.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks Nancy. Wall joins was one of the conditions that we ended up using. I'll keep the other two suggestions in mind going forward.