Thread: Extra Lines (from *behind* view region) Showing Up in Elevation

Login to Give a bone

Question Extra Lines (from *behind* view region) Showing Up in Elevation

Good Morning. I've got a kitchen family that I've made for a multi-family residential building. It is a galley kitchen, with two banks of casework facing each other. That family is loaded into my project and repeated through many apartments. When I cut an elevation looking at one bank of casework, the hidden lines from the casework behind me show up in the elevation. See attached images and family. Can anyone help me resolve this?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Extra Lines (from *behind* view region) Showing Up in Elevation

It's not a mystery at all. When a family with a cut representation like casework is cut by a view, it shows everything from the cut and everything in front of the cut. Your family is doing that. However, when the family contains symbolic lines, they show if the family is cut at all. Your family is doing that also.

The real answer to your question is that you should look into groups. You have effectively grouped your casework in a family. You need to group your casework in the project.

Login to Give a bone

Peter,

Thanks for the thorough and clear response. I've been working with families due to my experience with familes vs. groups. Families tend to handle memory better, keeping file size down, and groups will sometimes get twitchy when the building is modified around them, even if that modification should have absolutely no impact on the group. It seems like an odd restriction to "force" Revit to show objects behind my cut, instead of giving me an option, but I'm sure there's a very good reason for that functionality that I'm not aware of.

Are you aware of any alternative methods to do what I'm looking for without splitting up the family or using groups? Model lines instead of symbolic lines? Some other workaround?

Thanks again. =)

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

I don't use groups much myself, but then I don't work in multifamily projects, where I thought they were indispensable. My hunch is that you will be better off in the long run if you figure out how to control and/or adjust your groups. There have been a few threads in the past on what to watch out for with groups. I was under the impression some folks group whole units.

If you insist on using a family, I suggest you split it into two pieces and your current problem will go away.