Thread: No separate install for AutoCAD 2013?

Login to Give a bone

Default No separate install for AutoCAD 2013?

I'm primarily an AutoCAD user but purchased Revit Structure Suite 2010 as a crossgrade from AutoCAD 2005. The online documentation said I'd still get AutoCAD 2010but also ASD 2010 and Revit Structure 2010, which I did at the time. I pay $750/year to remain on subscription. When Revit Structure Suite 2011 came out there was no longer a separate disc for installing AutoCAD 2011...instead Autodesk combined AutoCAD 2011 with ASD 2011 on one installation disc with an option to install both during the installation process. Autodesk did the same in 2012. The AutoCAD 2011 and 2012 that I installed are not recognized as AutoCAD when trying to install service packs...what you actually have is ASD and you must wait for an ASD service pack before you can update your AutoCAD. Very annoying as I was under the impression the Suite would always provide the latest version of AutoCAD each year. I felt duped!!!

So yesterday I received my boxed copy of Revit Structure suite 2013...still just (2) installation discs but now Autodesk has decided I no longer will be able to install a separate launch icon for AutoCAD 2013. The disc for ASD 2013 lists both ASD 2013 and AutoCAD 2013 but when you go to install it there is NO option to install AutoCAD 2013...just ASD 2013 and Autodesk Design Review 2013. This is FRAUD pure and simple!!! Autodesk, I'll decide which programs I choose to install and which i do not choose to install. I have no use for ASD 2013 and have NEVER used ASD in the previous years. I don't even use Revit Structure but at least it actually loads with a separate disc.

I was promised (3) separate programs with the 2010 version and now I've been stripped of my primary business application...AutoCAD!. Autodesk will tell you ASD 2013 is built on the AutoCAD platform and it is a vertical product of AutoCAD. If that's so why doesn't Autodesk recognize it as AutoCAD? It doesn't...you now have ASD 2013 and won't get any hot fixes or service packs unless you wait for Autodesk to put one out for ASD 2013. Freakin' crooks!!!

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: No separate install for AutoCAD 2013?

I agree, should be install for AutoCad only.
    But if you will go ahead and install ASD, it will also install standalone AutoCad.
    But the migrate tool with the install only works for ASD.
    You will need to transfer your custom menu on your own.
    Good luck!

Login to Give a bone

Did you install from disc or from online download? I've always opted for the boxed version. ASD 2011 and ASD 2012 installed a separate version of vanilla AutoCAD but my ASD 2013 disc did not and there was no option during the install to do so. Maybe the disc I got wasn't set up correctly. I would be curious to hear from someone who downloaded theirs to see if they had a standalone version of AutoCAD 2013 after the install.

Login to Give a bone

you can copy the vanilla 2013 launch icon from the programs directory and put on desktop to bypass ASD format.
    go to ..start ..all programs .. autodesk... autocad stru detail 2013.. and van 2013 icon is in that directory.

Login to Give a bone

Whether its a separate install or not, you still only have one license. You're not getting a second copy of acad for free. If you start acad, that takes up your license. You can create your own shortcut for plain acad. If you look at the shortcut properties for a program based on acad, usually they also have command line switches that load other dll's, like the aec dll's. Just create a shortcut that runs acad.exe only. You may have to customize the gui, i.e. manually load acad.cui as the main cui.
    C:> ED WORKING....

Login to Give a bone

I did put the ACAD icon on my desktop alongside the ASD icon that installs with the disc. Try setting up AutoCAD 2013 with everything as you want it in Options, change the profile to AutoCAD instead of ASD and save that as a uniquely named workspace. Also change the workspace settings to SAVE changes when switching workspaces. Close AutoCAD and reopen it using the AutoCAD 2013 icon placed on the desktop (not the ASD icon). It should look the same so you think you've got a separate launch icon for AutoCAD 2013. Now open AutoCAD Structural Detailing 2013 using the icon that installs with the disc. It opens and looks like ASD 2013 as installed. Close ASD 2013. Now open AutoCAD 2013 using the AutoCAD icon. It looks like ASD 2013 now and the profile and workspace is set to ASD, not AutoCAD. I can change the profile back to AutoCAD and change the workspace back to the one I created and recover my workspace but how annoying is that?

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Check the workspace settings, make sure you pick automatic save of workspace changes. the default is do not save.
    Also if you are using Custom menu from older version of Autocad. then delete the custom menu
    from C:\Users\???\AppData\Roaming\....\Autocad 2013\Support Folder. this path will be different based on what O/S you are using.
    the default custom menu is blank with a new install.
    You should be able to setup Autocad 2013 to startup and open as same as standaone version, but the splash screen will say ASD.

Login to Give a bone

Also, you can force a specific profile on startup using the /p switch. You can also specify a workspace with /w, e.g.
    ...acad.exe /p "myPlainAcadProfile" /w "myWorkspace"
    C:> ED WORKING....

Login to Give a bone

I've set up everything to emulate my AutoCAD 2010 workspace and I DID set the workspace option to SAVE. I had to manually make all these changes by repositioning my icons (not a fan of the ribbon...I know what I want to do and don't need to be led down the path to do it). It opens as AutoCAD 2013 and everything is working as intended...as long as I never touch that launch icon for ASD 2013. I don't use ASD and probably never will...I only have it because I have Revit Structure Suite and Autodesk convenently decided I didn't need a separate disc to install AutoCAD starting with Revit Structure Suite 2011.

If they didn't screw me bad enough in 2011, 2012 and 2013 by not actually giving me AutoCAD (as promised in the 2010 suite), now they've officially discontinued Revit Structure Suite and will not sell any more licences. Autodesk can't even tell me if I'll ever get a 2014 version of either Revit Structure or AutoCAD Structural Detailing at this time. They say they'll know what options I'll have in early 2013 yet my subscription renews in September 2012. If I'm not on subscription I won't be eligible for any offers that might have for me. This is how they treat customers???