View Poll Results: On a project design teamside drafting model with intent too (Check all that apply, See first post fo

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • With no one. Just Because...

3 33.33%
  • The collision detection model...

4 44.44%
  • Render quality...

2 22.22%
  • For coordination with the contractor indirectly...

2 22.22%
  • For Coordination with the contractor directly...

2 22.22%
  • The owner requesting specific meta data...

1 11.11%
  • The owner requesting the model for future design work...

4 44.44%
  • Other. Hay there crazy, you forgot this reason.... B-)

4 44.44%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Polling "What are you using Revit for???"

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Polling "What are you using Revit for???"

So we all know what Autodesk says it can be used for and yes we all have tried something's here and there, but basically, what have you specifically have been involved with on a project.. Not what other's have....

Some of the items below I've heard others using, and some I'm just guessing is what we could do with it, but I'm not exactly expecting anyone to have done it...

So let's begin...

On a project, from the design team side drafting up the model with the intent to coordinate in the fashion of... (Check all that apply)

1. With No one. Just because..... Drafted anyway you wanted to... not intended to be sent to anyone else but kept in company...
    2. The collision detection model. The generic 3D intent located where the final product will be just to make sure there is space and another trade or all are not taking up said space... Not very fancy not very 'big'... Sent to someone holding the 'master' model
    3. Render quality. Using manufacture specific products or specific 3d shapes and sent to others in the design team for the same basic reason on their side... Size unlimited
    4. For coordination with the contractor indirectly, in that the contractor built their own model so they can physically build the building.
    5. For Coordination with the contractor directly, in that the contractor expected you to make the model for them to physically build the building.
    6. The owner requesting specific meta data to be included because they intend to use the model for future needs. (in some way helping building maintenance)
    7. The owner requesting the model for future design work. So they can just have it, if nothing else, with the possible intent to give to the next design team...
    8. Other. Hay there crazy... Yes you that set up this poll, you forgot this reason.... B-)

Open for 60 days...

After this I intend to I get a better poll to try and expand on this one depending what answers I get. If nothing else to see what category above you've done the most of...

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Polling "What are you using Revit for???"

You forget the other reason.
    Because even though it's a 1.6 million sqft building that will be built using 22 different structural packages with different phases (foundation, then steel, in both current, future, existing) and the client requires Cad drawings in the end so you'll have to convert them all in the end; Project management decided for you it was better to use Revit.
    Or in short, Because the guy that signs my check said so.

Login to Give a bone

I hear you.... I'll try and include that in the next pole... Because the boss said so.... But I guess in a way they are always the ones that say that anyway.... B-)

Login to Give a bone

Just want to bump it so hopefully more people put their voice in on the poll.

Login to Give a bone

I picked 'other' -> Because I am the owner.

Using models on an ongoing basis for maintenance and troubleshooting of our MEP systems, and, down the road, when that area, or an adjacent one are renovated again, the data will be passed along (and, yes, that's all a part of our bids, specs and contracts).
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Melanie,

Would you mind telling us if you're using any additional add-in's to Revit? Also, would you prefer an as built model from the A/E's or the contractor?

Thanks,
    Jeff S.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
    I picked 'other' -> Because I am the owner.

Using models on an ongoing basis for maintenance and troubleshooting of our MEP systems, and, down the road, when that area, or an adjacent one are renovated again, the data will be passed along (and, yes, that's all a part of our bids, specs and contracts).
    I see so your the facility manger and that is how you use the model yourself. Did you have a design team/ contractor put together the initial model or did you do it yourself as a facility manager? Does the Revit Model link directly into your facility management software,is there a one time import / export thing, or do you just use Revit as your facility managment package?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jsteinhauer View Post
    Melanie,

Would you mind telling us if you're using any additional add-in's to Revit? Also, would you prefer an as built model from the A/E's or the contractor?

Thanks,
    Jeff S.
    Jeff, no add-ons, just Revit MEP.

Our contracts have always dictated that document turnover (paper, dwg or rvt) reflect as-built conditions... it's in the bid, we're paying for it, we definitely want it.

It's always a bit of a disappointment when you're taking an OR or Patient Room out of service to switch off a valve, only to find that it wasn't installed where indicated on the documentation. Means lost revenue and inconvenienced patients.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by USMCBody View Post
    I see so your the facility manger and that is how you use the model yourself. Did you have a design team/ contractor put together the initial model or did you do it yourself as a facility manager? Does the Revit Model link directly into your facility management software,is there a one time import / export thing, or do you just use Revit as your facility managment package?
    We have only one building done entirely in Revit so far, that is a new one and it was prepared by the design team. Other projects in our archives are just smaller renovations.

The plan is to build base Revit models for the campus to distribute as we do today with AutoCAD files (it's only 6 million square feet, so, projects tend to move pretty fast around here... ). I will be getting bids on having outside firms do that for us, with one or two people in-house doing quality spot-checks on the models.

But, first, I have to get our CMMS upgraded. It's not really among my typical tasks, but, it is urgent to the operations of our department to have it replaced and upgraded as soon as possible.

To answer your question, no, we don't hook an RVT directly into our FM software, but, that's only because we don't currently have any. I've been trying to get a CAFM package back in this place for over 10 years, and managed to piggyback it onto the CMMS upgrade. So, in about two years we'll have it.
    At that point, yes, we will be linking the Revit model into it.

We're also in the midst of some pretty big campus changes, demo'ing at least 4 buildings in the next couple of years, and they will be replaced with buildings modeled by outside teams, of course, but, they'll be tying into the new models we'll be starting up (most of our buildings touch multiple other buildings, and renovations and MEPFP systems cross building lines frequently... talk about your challenges...).
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Technical Editor

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Melanie,

This is really interesting. So will you provide an A/E a model so that they may acquire the shared coordinates point from? That way when you get their model back, it will fit in with the rest of your campus? Do you manage more then one campus? We have clients that may have several campuses in the same city, just a few miles away from each other. But, then we have clients that manage campuses across the US & around the world. The reason I ask, is that Revit can get a little flaky when the model is spread out over a large area. I would assume that case a FM team would have a file setup for each campus. As more clients switch over to a Revit based FM system vs ACAD, it would be nice to hear about success & pitfalls from a FM, and not a sales person. What are your thoughts?

Thanks again,
    Jeff S.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast