Thread: Change titleblock attribute value throughout DWG

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Change titleblock attribute value throughout DWG

AutoCAD LT 2008

Hi, I've had a look through the forum, but I can't find an answer which doesn't involve using LISP.
    Is there a way for me to create a macro which can change the value of an attribute (for the project stage) in a title block throughout a number of layouts in a drawing?
    I can use the -ATTEDIT command to change one known value to another, but it doesn't change more than the current layout I'm in (or the last layout I was in, if I run the command from Model Space).
    I would have thought that this problem would have been raised before; is a command available, but I haven't found it yet?
    Thanks for any help anyone can provide,

Regards,
    JGA
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by andersonjg; 2010-09-15 at 04:27 PM. Reason: added an example DWG

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Change titleblock attribute value throughout DWG

That level of programming is considered by Autodesk to be available only in AutoCAD, not LT.

Explore the CTAB variable in LT and see if it can do what you want with layouts. And there are 3rd party (purchased) script processors that claim to support LT, that may be what you also need if you want to run a script on many DWG files.

Have you considered a 'better' approach, since your issue is limited to a titleblock edit: XREF your titleblock into all of your layouts, then when you need to edit constant item in it you just open that DWG file and do so. Then reload the Xref once in each file.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dean.23438 View Post
    ...Have you considered a 'better' approach, since your issue is limited to a titleblock edit: XREF your titleblock into all of your layouts, then when you need to edit constant item in it you just open that DWG file and do so. Then reload the Xref once in each file.
    Dean,
    Thanks for replying. I was hoping that the experts may have found a work around!
    I think the Xref route will be the most straight forward.

Regards,
    JGA

Login to Give a bone

Does LT not have access to Sheet Set Manager (SSM)?

We use SSM, setup with custom properties, which update our ttitle block(s) use fields within the title block attributes. New client name, or phase of work... change the SSM property and publish all 500+ drawings; done.
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

You could try the FIND command. and replace. Be careful of unintended consequences. You could lock all layers except the layers the attribute is on to limit consequences. just one low-tech short-term solution but I agree with xreffed titleblock. Thats how I usually handle the situation I think you are talking about. Good luck.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

RenderMan & jeffcsch71, thanks to you both for posting.
    Unfortunately, AutoCAD LT doesn't have access to the SSM.
    jeffcsch71, I did give the FIND command a trial; while it works, I found it a bit clunky when the drawing is full of the same letter or numeral as the revision I'm trying to change!

Regards,
    JGA

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Hi JGA,

Have you found solution for your above query?? I too have one such task. Pls help

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

mahe304475,
    Not exactly. Using the FIND command was the nearest I came to a solution with existing drawings. The Sheet Set Manager is also now available from AutoCAD LT, but I found it troublesome with lost links in older full versions of ACAD. We now use a titleblock with a relative link to an Xref for the project information, the title sheet number is linked to the layout tab title, with the rest simple attributes in the sheet.
    The answer is to use the full version - its GATTE command does exactly what is needed. I'm surprised that editing all values of attributes in the drawing can't be done in the LT version.
    Good luck - if you find a solution, please post it up!

Regards,
    JGA