Thread: Single selection set to be ignored(Rule)

Login to Give a bone

Default Single selection set to be ignored(Rule)

I was playing around trying to get the topic to work.I tryed to set "Specified Selection Sets" to the same selection set.The logic there is only things against each other in that set.(did not work)
    Seems that this would be valuable.It would save time creating these rules against the numerous different clashes.Example ignore hangers(this would be a search set of all hangers in all files).Then
    you would only have to pick this instead of setting each trade against hangers.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Single selection set to be ignored(Rule)

Create a search set that selects the entire building and use the "Specific Selection Sets" rule to ignore clashes between the hangars set and the entire model set. I keep a search set of the entire model in each project I work on for this reason.

Login to Give a bone

That's fine against the building,But was trying to ignore between trades.When we start a floor I would like the hangers ignored,and as time goes on these become just as important.Setting all hangers in 1 selection(to be ignored) in my eyes would be to darn easy.Navis does not allow for that

All AUGI, all the time pauljordan's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

It's possible that Mitch meant to make is something like hangars agains all disciplines. Basically, everything in the drawing. It just depends on how you have your selection sets laid out.

For example, I might have Arch, Struc, Elec, Mech, Process, Plumbing, Telecom drawings in my model. I can make a selection set to include ALL of the drawings from these disciplines, I can make selections sets for each discipline, or I could make selection sets that have anything that might possibly clash with the hangars.

What I typically do is create selection sets for each discipline as well as one for ALL disciplines.

Just one important thing to remember about this type of clash selection set. It won't find the 'un-clashes'... for example, there's a hangar that's missing the pipe it needs to support. Usually that's not a problem and it can be taken care of in the field, but, if another discipline decides to run a cable tray through that open area because the hangar is off, you'll end up with a problem. Also, hangars can be placed in slabs of the floors above long before the plumbers, pipe fitters, and HVAC folks get in there to work thier magic..

I know when you place a hangar in the wrong location, sometimes it involves a very expensive xray of the concrete slab to find a location where you can core drill to put in the correct hangar location.

I'd rather have the hangars clash and maybe adjust my rules with tolerances and layer control than excluding them all together but, then again, I work on VERY large processing facilities and even our contractors are using NavisWorks to manage clashes before they're approved to fabricate.

Just a few things to consider..
    Give a man AutoCad, and he'll draw you a floor plan.
    Give a man Revit and he'll build you a house.
    Give Cadmama a couple of drinks and she'll have everyone singing Rockytop!

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Paul, that is what I was referring to. Set the rule to ignore clashes between the selection set of hangars and the selection set of everything. Maybe we are misunderstanding the problem?