Thread: Any way to make a wall-hosted family with base AND upper level constraints?

Login to Give a bone

Default Any way to make a wall-hosted family with base AND upper level constraints?

I need a family that will behave like a column (both base and upper level offset parameters) but is hosted by a wall. Specifically it's a reveal family meant to cut tilt-up concrete walls to create both the panel joint and the chamfered panel corners.

I have a wall-hosted family that works great, but always adjusting the height when things change is a pain, whereas if the height were hosted by an upper level, things would be much easier.

Is it possible?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Any way to make a wall-hosted family with base AND upper level constraints?

Hmm...

Instance-based height parameter so you can align-lock the height of the family to the upper/lower levels you need in the project?

All AUGI, all the time Alex Page's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Any way to make a wall-hosted family with base AND upper level constraints?

Ok - not a wallbased family, but what about using the column template, change its category to generic model (or whatever) , create a void extrusion locked to top and bottom ref levels (and maybe a symbolic line or two in plan so you can find it!) and has 'Cut with Voids when Loaded" ticked.
    Then you place it in your project in plan, and use the cut command to cut the wall.

Not automatic cutting, but instead, automatic height changes....

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by contact.andrewk968454 View Post
    Hmm...

Instance-based height parameter so you can align-lock the height of the family to the upper/lower levels you need in the project?
    But they're not aligned to levels. They all have offsets above or below levels. The tilt-walls that follow the rake of the roof have a different height for every single joint.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Page View Post
    Ok - not a wallbased family, but what about using the column template, change its category to generic model (or whatever) , create a void extrusion locked to top and bottom ref levels (and maybe a symbolic line or two in plan so you can find it!) and has 'Cut with Voids when Loaded" ticked.
    Then you place it in your project in plan, and use the cut command to cut the wall.

Not automatic cutting, but instead, automatic height changes....
    That would be a major pain considering I probably have 120+ of these things.

Login to Give a bone

Well, right. You have a level height parameter that you lock to the two levels, two offsets you manually adjust, and the height of the joint. It'd be face-based.

Login to Give a bone

Along these lines, I have created a very simple wall based family of a rectangular extrusion that is acting as a panel joint for me. Since my building it a consistent height, I just set it in the parameters. It adjusts with the wall thickness, and I thought I had solved the problem I was having with panel joints. However, my structural consultant is now requesting I split the walls with the appropriate joint gap, which of course kills a generic wall based family. I did check the "cut with voids when loaded" box, but I'm not sure if that will work for him either. It looks like other people are using curtain panels to accomplish this, but if you float over to the other side of the forum; it appears that structural has a hard time with this solution. My thought would be to create a gap based model if there was such a thing, but there is not. Has anyone else had similar problems?