Thread: layer properties manager - everything defaults to the same property?!?!

Login to Give a bone

Default layer properties manager - everything defaults to the same property?!?!

Hi, I'm having a problem with my layer properties manager dialog box, when I go into to properties manager do change the property of a
    layer all the layers change to the same property. Example: If I change a layer color for instance all the layers will change to the same color.
    Also note that only one layer is highlighted but they all will change. It will be the same for any option whether color or lock or linetype.

thanks

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: layer properties manager - everything defaults to the same property?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by vinster678545554 View Post
    Hi, I'm having a problem with my layer properties manager dialog box, when I go into to properties manager do change the property of a
    layer all the layers change to the same property. Example: If I change a layer color for instance all the layers will change to the same color.
    Also note that only one layer is highlighted but they all will change. It will be the same for any option whether color or lock or linetype.
    thanks
    Hi, welcome to AUGI.
    Which release of acad? A new (far from perfect) layer manager was introduced with the 2009 version.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: layer properties manager - everything defaults to the same property?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by jaberwok View Post
    Hi, welcome to AUGI.
    Which release of acad? A new (far from perfect) layer manager was introduced with the 2009 version.
    The first time I encounter this problem was with a 2009 version, but I'm now using 2012 and it's up to no good again.

Login to Give a bone

well I changed the default setting form the VISRETAIN back to 0 and it seemed to solve the problem.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by vinster678545554 View Post
    well I changed the default setting form the VISRETAIN back to 0 and it seemed to solve the problem.
    For VISRETAIN to have any effect, you must be using xrefs - which you didn't mention - and it's still a strange situation.

Login to Give a bone

It may have been how I named my layers. I used a symbol in front of the names of the most common layers to send them to the front of the list.

Login to Give a bone

uhm, yeah. using non-alphanumeric characters in layer names can cause odd problems. hyphens and underscores, letters, and numbers are the most reliable characters to use in naming any symbol, block style, layer, etc. While other characters are supposed to be legal, odd problems tend to crop up.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

That could be tied to the layer filters since they respond to the standard set of wildcard characters. For wildcard characters to be functional as part of layer names the layer filters would likely have to be tossed.