See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: LEGEND SYMBOL

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default LEGEND SYMBOL

Hi!

Got a problem creating a Symbol Legend. I have a "Face Based Specialty Equipment" Wall Sign that when place in the elevation is correct, BUT when I place it in the Legend it is rotated 90 drgrees. I cannot rotate the view in the legend. How do I fix this?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: LEGEND SYMBOL

This is why I am creating my "legends" as actual views now....I create a view in a future phase with all my symbols, door and window elevations, etc.. then you can actually use callouts and sections in those views and reference actual drafting views..

Another option that I heard people doing is to create a couple of phases before Existing...a so called "Dinosaur" phase then the "Extinction" phase....Place your items in the dinosaur phase and demo them in the Extinction phase...that way it doesn't show in Existing at all...
    Michael "MP" Patrick
    "I only drink :coffee: until it's acceptable to drink :beer: or :whiskey: or :wine:"

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

I have also gone with using actual views. Our phases are 1. Legend Objects, 2. Legend Demo, 3. Existing, 4. New Construction. That being said, I would certainly prefer to use an actual legend. The main thing I was always missing is the ability to tag objects in a legend. For the most part this affected windows and doors. Having real views allows the user to make a change to one door type and have that propagate throughout the model, whereas a legend symbol does not. IMHO that makes legends hardly better than drafting views.

I am wondering though if anyone here fully utilizes Revit legends, and if so what is the workflow?
    -LP

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

I use the Revit legends so far... I create all the content in there and then add annotation families and text and line work in Revit. You can link the symbol to a detail view by creating a section in any detail view (& linking to the appropriate detail). Now that you have the link created just cut and paste into you legend and all is will...

I say I use them so far because I've started to think of a better way... I'm not entirely happy with what you can do in legends as everyone else seems to be. I guess I stay with legends if nothing else so I can keep tabs on what is going on there and the drafting in Revit and all... It would be nice if it could be automated a bit or something....

But having said that I've started to think of 3 different ways to do the legends.

1. Same as I do now. Draft it all in legends in Revit. Pull in the annotation families rather than the actual families and add text and lines as needed in Revit. The more I think about it the more I think I will stay here as, like I said, to at least keep tabs on Revit drafting abilities. I don't really do any other 'drafting' in Revit as I just link our details in from AutoCAD mostly because AutoCAD is so much better & quicker at drafting....

2. Create a Legend family and insert into the legend. The family block would 'in a perfect world' keep all the drafting symbols, text, and line work needed to make 1 line in the legend. I believe what would really happen here is the family would just be the line work and the annotation symbol and text would be directly placed in the legend. I would like the text to at least be in the legend family, but I haven't figured out a way to make an instance label that would get wider with a line work box around it...

3. Just do it in AutoCAD and link it in as AutoCAD is so much better at drafting....

Thoughts????

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cdatechguy View Post
    This is why I am creating my "legends" as actual views now....I create a view in a future phase with all my symbols, door and window elevations, etc.. then you can actually use callouts and sections in those views and reference actual drafting views..

Another option that I heard people doing is to create a couple of phases before Existing...a so called "Dinosaur" phase then the "Extinction" phase....Place your items in the dinosaur phase and demo them in the Extinction phase...that way it doesn't show in Existing at all...
    Newbie question: If you are doing "legends" as ordinary views, rather than as "Legends", how do you get them to appear on more than one Sheet (which is, to my understanding, the one powerful thing about Legends). Or are you only placing these once in your drawing set. We often have notes and/or symbols that we want to place on every sheet of a particular type. So far as I know, a "legend" in a regular view would only be able to be placed on one sheet.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

The only actual legends we place on multiple sheets contain drafting lines and text only. No real legend objects. The doors and windows I referenced above are only placed on sheet once, so a real view works. Having a true legend with usable, tagable objects would be a real help, Mr. ACA/AMEP WishList Manager!

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dkoch View Post
    Newbie question: If you are doing "legends" as ordinary views, rather than as "Legends", how do you get them to appear on more than one Sheet ...
    What do you mean by "legends as ordinary views, rather than legends"

Legends and schedules can be placed on multiple sheets. Simply drag the same legend or schedule again from the project browser into another sheet.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Alfredo Medina View Post
    What do you mean by "legends as ordinary views, rather than legends"

Legends and schedules can be placed on multiple sheets. Simply drag the same legend or schedule again from the project browser into another sheet.
    Alfredo,

I think David means creating a view with a door/window, whatever as a full model object. Sometimes people do this in conbination with phasing (so these "legend elements" don't schedule) to create a legend tha can have elements tagged and have ALL of the geometry which can be manipulated/rotated etc...

David,

You are correct on how a legend can be used. If a legend needs to be placed on more than one sheet this technique will not work without making duplicates of the "legend" so it can be placed on multiple sheets. The legend views in Revit can't use tags and do only place family geometry in spcific view directions that may or may not work in the legend. Those elements can still be drawn/drafted with detail lines and filled regions. Not the most elegant solution, but you are only doing it one time for the project. If you don't want to draft the elements you can also take a screen shot if the element in another view and import the image file into the legend.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Hi!

Got a problem creating a Symbol Legend. I have a "Face Based Specialty Equipment" Wall Sign that when place in the elevation is correct, BUT when I place it in the Legend it is rotated 90 drgrees. I cannot rotate the view in the legend. How do I fix this?
    Did anyone work out how to solve the initial question about items being rotated 90 degrees? I know there are a million ways to create a symbol legend and have a finished product on the sheet. The ability to use a legend view is most attractive to me because the legend is actually referencing the family I am using.

Login to Give a bone

I edit the family and create a new family type "Legend View", add a duplicate symbol or label, rotate as required, add 2 "Visible Parameters" one for my legend and one for my project family, and turn the parameters on and off accordingly.