Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Random, silly question

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Random, silly question

Quote Originally Posted by jaberwok View Post
    I think they came from the original (British) AEC version.
    Quote Originally Posted by cadtag View Post
    I'd been thinking they came along with the Softdesk acquisition, and had been part originally of that architecture package. Been to long now, and a lot of beer over the damn since then.
    Probably one or the other.
    Too much time and not enough beer.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Jmurphy View Post
    ONLY 20? I got two bookcases here full plus the ones boxed up in the barn and the external HD full of digital books.
    No they don't go back to my HS days either.
    Braggart.

I don't buy textbooks for software unless required for a class... I prefer to spend my book allowance on fiction and learn applications by the trial and error method.
    And, of course, the more recent tomes are there because I have to read them to tell the authors how wrong they are.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Login to Give a bone

BUY?
    The only ones I paid for were programing in C+ and SQL. The rest are either from the publisher/author for reviews or to use to give classes on.

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
    I don't buy textbooks for software unless required for a class... I prefer to spend my book allowance on fiction and learn applications by the trial and error method.
    And, of course, the more recent tomes are there because I have to read them to tell the authors how wrong they are.
    smiley_offtopic.gif
    X1 on that score ...

Reading a book to learn something I find quite useless. The only way I lean is to do, make mistakes and fix them, then figure out if I could've done it better. The only time I ever open a textbook is to lookup stuff, and then 90% of the time it's extremely arb examples which are usually utterly useless or wrong. These days (or rather for the last few years) I prefer using sites like this for my "research" - tend to get much better answers than I've ever found in books.

btt.gif OK ... attempting ... ...
    Strangely, our layer standards are made for a special case. We're architects, but usually there's at least 2 different architectural firms on any one project: a concept arch (denoted CA), and architect of record (AR). I can just imagine someone fresh off varsity coming to work for us and thinking: "Those hatches must be for use by only the Arch of Rec."

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by irneb View Post
    smiley_offtopic.gif
    The only time I ever open a textbook is to lookup stuff, and then 90% of the time it's extremely arb examples which are usually utterly useless or wrong.

btt.gif OK ... attempting ... ...
    Strangely, our layer standards are made for a special case. We're architects, but usually there's at least 2 different architectural firms on any one project: a concept arch (denoted CA), and architect of record (AR). I can just imagine someone fresh off varsity coming to work for us and thinking: "Those hatches must be for use by only the Arch of Rec."
    Well ya know, if that's the case with the books you're reading, they *obviously* just need a better Technical Editor to catch the author's mistakes or demand clarity.

You make a good point with the abbreviations, and that's part of the difficulty with any part of CAD Standards management, and moving between firms or collaborating across companies. As you say, finding answers (which can be corroborated publicly) is a great thing about these forums and other online sources rather than a single static reference.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12