Thread: How to show structure above a ceiling in a RCP with hidden line(masking region) on?

Login to Give a bone

Default How to show structure above a ceiling in a RCP with hidden line(masking region) on?

I'm trying to use a masking region. I can get it to mask with hidden line on but in areas with a ceiling the structure stops and does not show up above the ceiling. I'm a FP designer and I'm wanting to show the everything from the deck down. I'm a newbie. Is this possible?

Thanks,

All AUGI, all the time CADastrophe's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: How to show structure above a ceiling in a RCP with hidden line(masking region) on?

Have you tried making Ceilings transparent? Under Visibility/Graphics for that category, there is either a sliding scale (Revit MEP 2013) or a checkbox (Earlier Revit MEP) that controls the transparency of the applicable elements.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: How to show structure above a ceiling in a RCP with hidden line(masking region) on?

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it, it didn't show the structure above. I'm guessing it's because "Hidden Line style displays the image with all edges and lines drawn except those obstructed by surfaces." So, from the way I understand this, I guess I can't use a masking region and show steel above ceilings since you have to have HL on to show the masking region?

Login to Give a bone

The issues is the View's Discipline. If the View is changed to the "Coordination" Discipline, it will show the structure. Since the Mechanical Discipline "sees" that both the Ceilings and Structure are 'out-of-discipline' categories, it won't allow the transparency to work as intended. There may be another way to do this if the ceilings and structure are coming from two different Revit Links...or maybe not...

Alternatively, you can check the Overlay option under V/G for the Arch Link in lieu of using Transparency, but this also required the View's Discipline to be set to Coordination.
    Last edited by CADastrophe; 2012-04-13 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Additional Info

Login to Give a bone

When I switch the view discipline to coordination a lot of stuff turns off(e.g. walls, steel, pipe). I'm a complete noob(as if this wasn't obvious!) so I'm sure I'm not doing something correctly. I can't find anything in V/G that is overlay(Revit MEP 2012).

Login to Give a bone

If a bunch of things dissapeared, it's probably because the floor (or similar element) is blocking the view - either make it transparent or turn it off. Changing the discipline doesn't cause anything to actually turn off, it just alters the visibility of the elements. And in Visibility/Graphics, Revit Links tab, there is an Underday checkbox for each link.

If this doesn't work, we'll find another way! A man stumbling around a dark room will eventually find the light switch...

Login to Give a bone

This worked! I changed the discipline to coordnation and since I'm trying to show everything from the steel down I had to turn off the roof. Thanks for the help!!