Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Revit MEP 2012 Connecting Pipes

Login to Give a bone

Default Revit MEP 2012 Connecting Pipes

OK so I just finished my first Revit project. Sort of - we pretty much used it just for drafting purposes. Something that drove me nuts - for the life of me I couldnt get two pipes to connect to each other. I tried editing the system and adding pipes to the system. I know they were at the same elevation and aligned. I tried drawing from the end of one pipe to the end of another pipe and they usually wouldnt connect. is there a trick to this? I ended up with probably 60 different systems in a building that had about 10 systems because it kept putting my pipes on different systems and not allowing me to connect them together. Thanks

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit MEP 2012 Connecting Pipes

We will need more information to help you. Did you use the draw-pipe command, or try to click and drag? Dragging anything in Revit is asking for trouble. Are you using the thin line display setting? The default is thick lines, and that causes odd problems. Don't set-up any more system classifications and system types than you actually need. Don't worry about the system names at this point.

Login to Give a bone

I would right click on the plus and say draw pipe usually. although at times i tried dragging and found that never worked. I wasnt paying much attention to the line thickness as I was drawing the pipes.

Login to Give a bone

Put a Thin Lines icon in your quick-access tool bar, and click on it every time you open Revit MEP. You may be surprised this. Are you drawing in a coarse detail level, or fine? some pipes may have trouble finding the center in the fine detail setting, especially if you are displaying thick lines in your view.

Login to Give a bone

OK - I'll give that a shot. I've been pretty much using medium detail level when drawing everything as this is how we want our drawings to display.

Login to Give a bone

OK - so I had to try that - I think the issue is that it is trying to make the pipe perpendicutlar to my fitting or parallel to my pipe. if I was in autocad i would say it was an osnap issue. Revit doesnt have snaps though right?

Login to Give a bone

major aha moment - there are snaps in revit - found them - now pipes connect

Login to Give a bone

Good! There will many of those moments. Seems like ducts and pipes will want to snap to anything but another duct or pipe. That was major frustration for me. I now have working views, where I hide all Arch, etc, everything but the pipes, fittings, and fixtures. That's probably the biggest tip to avoid connection problems.

Login to Give a bone

I'm having a devil of a time connecting pipes from a manifold to a radiator. Everything is set up right, and I can very laboriously get a pipe connected eventually (with four views tiled), but I'm missing something. I even set up new levels and ref planes to guide the tubing. Can you explain about the "snaps" you were talking about? It takes me 5 minutes to get from manifold out to radiator in, so I'm doing something wrong. Automatically connect has yet to work for me. Pipe sizes and connector sizes seem to match OK, but it's too difficult. There's a trick to this that I'm missing out on?!
    Thanks!

Login to Give a bone

Attached is a stripped down version of the project I'm working on. I made ref planes to guide the pipe placeholders, so I can make the connections, but it just seems like a lot of trouble to go through just to hook one end (manifold) to the other (radiator). Or is this the proper way? Note, nothing else connected yet, just did one connection for clarity. I guess I'm asking if there's an easy way to automate the process (or otherwise simplify the process).

...Well, I've gotten rid of everything but the walls that the manifold and radiator are attached to, purged the project, gotten rid of all but 3d and plan views, zipped it, and the file is still more than 6mb, so I guess I can't attach it, but maybe the question still makes sense(?)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast