Thread: Linework Coding - adding extra discription for a figure

Login to Give a bone

Default Linework Coding - adding extra discription for a figure

Haven't been able to get this to work yet but maybe someone will know.
    We use numeric coding for our field crews to draw lines and describe points in the field.
    Reason being not all of our instruments have full alpha keyboards and numeric codes are fast to punch in, if the crew really needs to describe a point in detail they can just add a space to the numeric code and shift into painfull alpha (telephone style) and further describe a point.

example: code "155 flush" my deskeys are set up to handle this and easily transpose to "Survey Marker flush"
    However this is a problem when wanting to code a line and add extra information.

example: code "102 B Brick" my figure prefix database recognizes 102 B and will start a building line however I cannot find a deskey combination that will omit the "B" line command and write Brick !
    What I want to see is "Building Brick"
    I have to tell my deskeys to either show all or show none so on screen I see for code "102 B Brick" transposed as "Building B Brick" as showing all or "Building" with all omitted after intial code.

I could tell deskeys to omit the first $1 however this line code could also be described as a double line code of witch $1 will not work. For example "102 B 110 B Brick" this code draws two lines from the same point with the description "Building". It will start a building line and an overhead wire however I cannot find a deskey to say "Building Brick"

There is a slash / in the figure code codes that will stop the line information to alow for a description and this works so that line information does not get mis-represented however I have not found a way for Civil 3d deskeys to transpose what comes after the / slash. The deskeys don't have any intelligencefor reading a / slash. At least none that I'm aware of. Sorry for the long rant but this ones a pet peve.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Linework Coding - adding extra discription for a figure

I think you have TWO options here.

One set the Linework Code set to Automatically draw the Figure upon Prefix Matching.
    This will allow you to Omit the B (Begin statmentments)
    The other will require much more creative use of the $ String Characters for your point descriptions to work.

feel free to post a sample of your FBK/TXT file for me to experiment with your data to test the above suggestions

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the reply I will try to post an fbk in the future however I'm thinking this may only be resolved by a programing change by AutoCad.
    Because line codes can be coded with many many different combinations there is no current deskey that can handle them all. Yes I could remove the "B" when starting a new line however if I wanted to use that prefix again I would still need to provide an "E" or a New "B" to begin the prefix again. Line codes can be whatever your imagination can conjure up. For instance 102 111 110 E 103 is a code that starts 3 lines and ends 1. If used with the / slash it could be said as 102 111 110 E 103/Red Pavers. What I need is for Civil 3D to include a Deskey that knows the difference between line codes and added text. The forward slash "/" is accepted by the prefix database because this database knows what to do with it, however nobody programed the deskeys to understand to write the text after the forward slash "/". Unless there is something new in 2012 that I am unaware of.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

I think you may need to resort to using XDREF to resolve this issue