Haven't been able to get this to work yet but maybe someone will know.
We use numeric coding for our field crews to draw lines and describe points in the field.
Reason being not all of our instruments have full alpha keyboards and numeric codes are fast to punch in, if the crew really needs to describe a point in detail they can just add a space to the numeric code and shift into painfull alpha (telephone style) and further describe a point.

example: code "155 flush" my deskeys are set up to handle this and easily transpose to "Survey Marker flush"
However this is a problem when wanting to code a line and add extra information.

example: code "102 B Brick" my figure prefix database recognizes 102 B and will start a building line however I cannot find a deskey combination that will omit the "B" line command and write Brick !
What I want to see is "Building Brick"
I have to tell my deskeys to either show all or show none so on screen I see for code "102 B Brick" transposed as "Building B Brick" as showing all or "Building" with all omitted after intial code.

I could tell deskeys to omit the first $1 however this line code could also be described as a double line code of witch $1 will not work. For example "102 B 110 B Brick" this code draws two lines from the same point with the description "Building". It will start a building line and an overhead wire however I cannot find a deskey to say "Building Brick"

There is a slash / in the figure code codes that will stop the line information to alow for a description and this works so that line information does not get mis-represented however I have not found a way for Civil 3d deskeys to transpose what comes after the / slash. The deskeys don't have any intelligencefor reading a / slash. At least none that I'm aware of. Sorry for the long rant but this ones a pet peve.