Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Length of a segmented line

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Length of a segmented line

I'm creating egress diagrams that show the travel distance to egress stairs. When we did these in Autocad, we would create a polyline, select it and be able to read-off the length in the properties. Any equivalent way to do this in Revit? Even better, I'd like a dot at the start and an arrow head at the finish of the line. Thoughts? Ideas?

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Length of a segmented line

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Thanks. Shame on me. I posted before I searched.
    That said, after reading through many of the responses to that post, I don't think I love the line-based family and schedule solution. I just started a new adaptive component family that has 6 points measuring the length of the segments between. Then a shared parameter--I'm calling it "Egress Distance"--that adds them up. When loaded into my project (yay, 2012 can load adaptive components into a project, not just a conceptual mass!), I click six times and add a tag to the path that calls out the Egress Distance. I can schedule it if I want, but I don't right now.

I've attached my first attempt at the family. It doesn't work yet, so if anybody can help, I'd appreciate it.

Egress_Path.rfa
    Last edited by damon.sidel; 2012-04-13 at 08:50 PM.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

...But, what are the advantages of this adaptive component family over the line based family? It seems to me that your family works for only six points, while the line based family lets you click any number of points.

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

The 2013 release can schedule the length of a railing...which means a railing type can be used to document egress too.

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Stafford View Post
    The 2013 release can schedule the length of a railing...which means a railing type can be used to document egress too.
    No offense Steve, but.......the list of workarounds continues...................

Sure, the railing may now be measured/scheduled, but I would NOT want users placing railings in the Life Safety Plans. ( I know, use a "dummy phase", blah blah blah.)

I commend the creative thought process, but in the end, I wish Adesk would just give us a Polyline tool, or a dedicated tool for measuring paths, etc.

Login to Give a bone

Since I have no control over Autodesk...

I prefer the line based work around. Another consultant or two that I know use Railings. This forum is more about solving problems. So I offered another option to my own much older line based option. Oh and you don't have to like it or use it either...nyaah.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Alfredo Medina View Post
    ...But, what are the advantages of this adaptive component family over the line based family? It seems to me that your family works for only six points, while the line based family lets you click any number of points.
    Alfredo, I may very well misunderstand the line-based family. Does the line-based family allow you to place a tag in your plan that shows the total travel distance? If so, then I will agree that the line-based family method is better. If not, then it's just as deficient as my adaptive component, just in a different way.

Would you be willing to share a few screen shots of how you use the line based family?

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cliff collins View Post
    I commend the creative thought process, but in the end, I wish Adesk would just give us a Polyline tool, or a dedicated tool for measuring paths, etc.
    It shouldn't be difficult to create an Add-in... maybe that will be my next project. I wish there was a more active plug-in writing community like they have for SketchUp over at SketchUcation.

Login to Give a bone

The line based approach that I documented used a schedule that was stripped down to show the total length on a plan. The adaptive point approach is a good option too, I think. Most valid egress paths can't have too many changes in direction anyway. You'd just need to have a few different version to allow for enough segments. Since it is one family it's easy to tag the overall length.

One weakness is that we can't nested generic annotations so no dot or arrow that will maintain the annotation size...
    Last edited by Steve_Stafford; 2012-04-14 at 03:46 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast