See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How To Measure Egress Travel Distance

Login to Give a bone

Default How To Measure Egress Travel Distance

Perhaps the only feature of AutoCAD I miss is the ability to draw a polyline and query its length. In our jurisdiction, one must draw and submit travel distance information for code review - and ploylines were the quick way to do this.

In Revit, we use line segments inserted as components that we have to draw end to end, name, and schedule in order to calculate egress travel distance. Feels like we've taken a step backwards - how do other people manage this?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: How To Measure Egress Travel Distance

I just use the measure tape, check the chain button, get the value and write it next to the line.
    Scott D. Brown, AIA
    Senior Project Manager | Associate

BECK

Login to Give a bone

A family like this one may help, or could be modified to suit your needs.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by bholmes View Post
    A family like this one may help, or could be modified to suit your needs.
    You can use this family and create a schedule of the travle distances as well. The process is shown in detail in an older revit tutorial (where i think this family originated.) You can download the older tutorials here:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet...12&id=11091739

The section that covers this is Documenting Your Project>Scheduling Shared Parameters

I could stop if I wanted to gordolake's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quick method I use is to draw spline egress detail lines and query the properties for length, you need three points at corners to negotiate the turn.

steve

Certifiable AUGI Addict twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

We use a Line Based Family with Shared Parameters. No need to query, and its set to only show up on our Code Summary Plans. Plus when things shift around and we grab the ends to move them, they all update the schedule accordingly.

Different Paths are different types.

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

The original post stated that they didn't like the place an egress object and schedule process. That process assumes that you will need to be able to revisit the values again. Taking them off and putting the values in text or somewhere else means when someone casually asks you to double check things...you have to do it all over again. If there is a minor change then these objects can usually survive with subtle changes. If it is a complete do over then obviously it isn't much different than taking them off again. It is the unanticipated revisiting that gets over looked and where the family/tag/schedule approach starts to sing.

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Cool Re: How To Measure Egress Travel Distance

I vote for the Line-based Family and Schedule.

Very "BIM".

cheers........

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the replies, all very helpful and positive. We are familiar with the line/family based approach. "Scheduling" the egress distance has advantages, but also adds complexity to the process that previously wasn't there. In most cases, the added procedural complexity at the beginning of the process pays big dividends down the road.

But in this case we're not dealing with systems (e.g. beams, electrical panels, ductwork, doors even) than require careful scheduling and parametric control. It's just dumb lines, so I wish there was something more straight forward.

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by bhanna View Post
    ...But in this case we're not dealing with systems (e.g. beams, electrical panels, ductwork, doors even) than require careful scheduling and parametric control. It's just dumb lines, so I wish there was something more straight forward...
    I created a line-based egress family for a class at AU, just as an example of how the new family type could be used. It's been a pretty popular item. Not necessarily the choice or need for everyone.

That written...if I had a nickle for every time someone told me that they don't need "this approach", they just need 2D or plain lines or some such, I'd be rich. The interior designer says I don't care if the furniture is 3D...but when you later are looking at the building in a camera view the first question from them is, "Where's the furniture??". Reply with, "You said you didn't want 3D! They reply with, "Yeah, but this is Revit!?!"

Same thing happens all the time with egress studies...do one, take it off with polylines and then do it again and then do it again. Every time you end up transferring the information to excel or something. If you set up a single schedule and sketch those "lines" with the family instead, you get results at the same time. The only part that isn't efficient enough really is identifying each path uniquely. If you tag all and use a tag that has the parameter that defines them uniquely in it, you can sketch them quick and use the tag to label them 1, 2, 3 etc.

Tagging etc. assumes that documenting the results is part of the equation. If just dealing with quick takeoff the lines should still be just as quick. If you have to make the schedule each time then that ought to be in the template.

Done well it shouldn't be any more work than taking it off once, more likely less work. If you are writing the results of polyline takeoffs down somewhere/elsewhere then the "family" technique should "lap the other approach several times in a race".

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast