Thread: Modeling Rebar Discussion

Login to Give a bone

Question Modeling Rebar Discussion

I posted this in Revit - In Practice Forum with no replies. Bumping it up to here to see if i can get some ideas.

Interested in hearing different firm's practices on this. Since Revit's rebar capabilities are getting better I was thinking of starting to model the rebar in areas where we cut sections. My only concern is the final finished detail may not look the way our firm likes to see rebar detailed.

My first concern is that we have always shown rebar as a single line, rather then the actual rebar that is shown in the medium and fine detail levels. I know I can override the graphics but the problem lies when I want to dimension to the rebar to an outside face of wall. We call out min. and clear dimensions. When the rebar is shown as course, the dimension defaults to the center, so a 3" MIN. dimension increases depending on the size. Since I would use cover settings to place the rebar exactly, it would be difficult to move the centerline to the 3".

My second issue is how Revit will show staggered or overlapping rebar. In CAD or using detail lines I can offset overlapping lines and put a 0" dimension for clarity. How can I achieve this in Revit with modeled rebar. I assume I could pull or drag the rebar so it shows properly, but it would be modeled incorrectly and not in the proper location.

These are some major issues that have led my company to draw rebar as detail lines, rather then model it. I feel Revit is such a powerful program I should be modeling rebar, but graphically, it does not make sense. Any input on how other firm tackle their detailing would help out tremendously.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Modeling Rebar Discussion

I model foundation footing and wall rebar as required for details simply because it is easier than multiple detail lines and the rebar adjusts with size changes of walls/piers/cover etc. Just pick the shape/size and place. It is particularly useful for rebar plan details in piers. I also model concentrated reinforcement in my structural wall elevations. I manually lap the bars in wall elevations at the foundation/first floor level only, any other floors is represented by a single bar running the full heights of multiple floors. I generally cover all the lap requirements with general notes. I wish they would add a bar lap to dimension properties, this might make me change the way I do things. I initially worked with rebar at a course detail level and as a work around used a text note to spec min. cover. I have adjusted to showing them in fine detail for the sake of dimensions and as an interference check for anchor bolts, plate washers etc. What would really be ideal, is if you could specify the rebar (along with cover) in modelling the wall or footing itself. Would make modelling rebar much less tedious.