Thread: Undock views or sheets to second monitor

Login to Give a bone

Default Undock views or sheets to second monitor

Hi,

For years now, Photoshop has allowed you to drag a file outside of the application window and onto another monitor. Floating views I believe it's called. With Revit, it seems the only way to spread views across multiple monitors is to expand the entire Revit windows - obstructing any other applications I have open. Anyone know the reason for Autodesk not incorporating such a basic feature of multi-monitor working?

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Undock views or sheets to second monitor

Hmm... are you sure? I can place the Properties window, the Project Browser, along with my internet browser in one monitor, while keeping the rest of Revit in the other monitor. Is that what you mean?

EDIT: OK, I see what you mean. I cannot pass views to my other screen.
    Last edited by Alfredo Medina; 2012-04-23 at 11:25 AM.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Alfredo Medina View Post
    EDIT: OK, I see what you mean. I cannot pass views to my other screen.
    Yep. Seems crazy doesn't it! At my current firm (and last) multi-monitor is pretty much standard for all technical and design staff. Its absurd that Autodesk hasn't taken this into account.

Login to Give a bone

Yep that's how it is. I just have a really big main monitor for Revit - 24" 1920x1200, and a smaller 20" 1920x1080 for everything else.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

It's not just autodesk either. MS word can have multiple windows open, but excel can't? Just one of the many little inconsistencies that drive our lives. As far as a more practical response however, I try do do a few things to make my own workflow easier with one monitor. (I'm writing in the browser on my left monitor while Revit is on the right )
    #1: keyboard shortcuts for tiling, cascade, close hidden windows - WT, WC, WX(custom)
    #2: shortcuts for opening/closing properties and project browser - ctrl+1, BB(custom)
    #3: get in the habit of working in one main window with the other views smaller. I very rarely find myself actually working back-and-forth between two windows. More often the second view is there for reference, such as a 3D view while I work in section or a small plan view while i work in a schedule.

I suppose we just have to count ourselves lucky as having a second monitor anyway. I sill remember the days when my only choice was a single 19" CRT that must have weighed 30 lbs.
    -LP

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by LP Design View Post
    MS word can have multiple windows open, but excel can't?
    It's even worse with Excel 2007. Some Excel Windows straddle the gutter between both monitors. No matter how often they are moved, they always revert to the gutter. I think software companies are loosing interest in computers as work devices and devoting their best efforts to computers as entertainment devices, which has a much bigger market than a bunch of architects on a deadline.

Login to Give a bone

At least with Office 2010 you can open up multiple instances of Excel and Word and put them on different monitors (I'm not sure if that's what you're after though...) With Excel I have to open the 2nd instance and THEN open another file (as opposed to opening a 2nd file from within the 1st instance which "holds" the files in the same Excel window.)

- Alex