Thread: Family works differently in different projects?

Login to Give a bone

Default Solved: Family works differently in different projects?

so i have a series of families that when imported into our main central file act and show differently than when inserted into a new project. I am not sure when it happened, but at some point the family started acting different, ie. some of the grips don't show up and I am unable now to align/stretch the family without actually going to the properties and adjusting the instant parameters that way.

all of the parameters still work if i adjust them in the properties, but now don't' show up in plan view, but do in a brand new project.

anyone have any ideas?
    Last edited by jhendershot; 2012-04-24 at 05:13 AM.

Certifiable AUGI Addict Dimitri Harvalias's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Family works differently in different projects?

Any chance the family was modified in a project and not saved back to your default family file location? Have you tried taking the 'good' family, clicking 'edit family' and then loading that family into a new project?
    Are the parameters the same in the old and new project e.g are they consistently type parameters or instance parameters?

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the reply. i selected the 'non' working family in my main central file and did edit family and than loaded that family into a brand new project and all works as expected.

I have triple checked that it is in fact the same family, parameters and all but still get this very strange behavior. granted these families are very in depth with several nested families within them, but the instance parameters that are not showing up are in the 'main' family and is really just the grips that i want to show up of instant length parameters that i am not seeing. and the even odder thing is that there is one that does show up and not the rest..... are the grips based on height by chance? if the cut plane is lower than the reference line will they not show?

i will check all the nested families next, but i just don't see how that would do it, and they did work when i originally placed them in the central file. it has just been recently that this odd behavior has come up.

stumped.

j.

Login to Give a bone

ok.. so i didn't know Revit did this, but if you turn off Reference Lines in the view, and you have families that are controlled by reference lines than your families will not work correctly.

this sounds like a bug to me as i might not want to see reference lines in my model but would still like my families that use them to work...

anyway.

Certifiable AUGI Addict Dimitri Harvalias's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jhendershot View Post
    ok.. so i didn't know Revit did this,
    That makes two of us!
    I've never run across this issue. Interesting that it only seems to affect the grip visibility for ref line and not ref plane controlled instance parameters.
    Since you can't create a ref line in a project I guess I've never had reason to turn off the object category before. Since they also are't visible in the project file there is really no reason to turn off the category.