Thread: Symbolic lines, masking regions, and exporting to DWG

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Symbolic lines, masking regions, and exporting to DWG

We have a particular graphic style that we use in AutoCAD that I'm trying to replicate in Revit. See the attached image of what I have in Revit so far as reference. All the furniture, plumbing fixtures, and equipment (fridge) are families that have symbolic lines in plan with a masking region to give color. Currently, there is no 3D information in any of these families, although I will eventually add it. The 2D plan representation and 3D model will differ for plans versus perspectives/renderings, which is why I've set it up this way.

However, I am having problems with my exports. We communicate with some of our consultants via DWG exports. I would like to have the linework for the families export on one layer and the fill to export on a separate layer. Right now, for the furniture for example, the linework and the hatch end up on I-FURN. Is there some combination of subcategories and export settings that will allow me to separate these two things?

I have the same problem on my floors. I use a material and consistent colors because adding a solid surface pattern to the floor overrides the color in the area plans. graphic_style.jpg

Certifiable AUGI Addict Dimitri Harvalias's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Symbolic lines, masking regions, and exporting to DWG

When you create your masking regions you can specify the sub-category for the boundary lines. Create a new sub-category in the family editor and assign the boundary lines to that sub-category. Next go to your export settings and provide an export layer to match the new sub-category. You should get the boundaries on one layer and the rest of the family on another.

New Sub-Category.jpg

New Export Layer.jpg

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Symbolic lines, masking regions, and exporting to DWG

Thank you, Dimitri. Just tried that and it does indeed place the boundary lines on a new layer. However, the hatch from the masking region is still on the furniture layer. That is, the symbolic lines are of subcategory "Furniture" and the masking region boundary is of subcategory "Masking Region". I set my export for Furniture to I-Furn layer and Masking Region to I-Furn-Patt layer. The symbolic lines are on I-Furn, the Masking Region boundary are now lines on I-Furn-Patt, but the hatch is still on I-Furn. Bummer.

We exported using Hidden Lines to get it out quickly, but that's not the fix I want.