• In Views

23 44.23%
  • Don't care/Stop posting stupid polls

2 3.85%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Revision Clouds: Sheets vs. Views

Login to Give a bone

Default Revision Clouds: Sheets vs. Views

We have an internal debate regarding where is the best place to locate our revision clouds (in views or on sheets). For our larger projects for which construction may take years we may end up issuing quite a few permit revisions, addenda, ASI's, and construction change directives. So, does anyone have any strong opinions one way or another?

This may not apply to everyone, but we've been typically issuing revisions on fullsize sheets versus smaller sketch sized sheets.

Thanks.

- Alex

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revision Clouds: Sheets vs. Views

The issue of putting them in views can have unwanted impact on consultants. If I have a view set-up with a linked model and that view is set to "By linked view" when you place that cloud it now shows up on my view and I have to go turn them all.
    We don't do 8.5x11 or anything like that anymore for a couple of reasons. One, Revit doesn't do them so well, two they take up much more time, and three, if I give you a full size sheet anyone can print only the portion they need to a 8.5x11 inside adobe.
    I'm starting a 1.2million sqft project, construction starts in Sept of this year and finishes sometime in 2017. I couldn't imagine the number of "Sketches" I'd have to do since our foundations go out before the Arch DD's. Should be lots of fun.

Login to Give a bone

It looks like most people would agree with you. Thanks for the response.

- Alex

Login to Give a bone

We debated the same and when the smoke cleared we all agreed to go with on sheets because you can't always put it in a view, like a schedule. So you don't want clouds in views AND sheets so your left with on the sheet.

Login to Give a bone

Don't get me started regarding clouding schedules... We've set up a door revision schedule that is populated with doors with certain instance parameter properties to avoid trying to cloud a schedule that may shrink or grow as we make revisions.

If anyone knows a way to select and poche individual rows in a schedule we would prefer to go that route.

- Alex

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

I just had this discussion in the office this morning! We are currently muddling through a construction project which is coming close to 700 RFIs. Unlike Dave's method, we DO use 8.5x11 sketches, and it is getting nasty. For us the problem is less about where the revision cloud goes, and more about how the change is documented.

Since you can't reference the same view onto multiple sheets, we end up duplicating views for every sketch we send out. The model is revised so any changes occur both on the original sheet and the sketch, but only the sketch gets a revision cloud. The main reason for this workflow is that we have a *ahem* somewhat difficult client who required us to print full progress sets withOUT revision clouds every now and again.

I'm not really sure if placing the revision cloud on the sheet rather than the view would actually affect us at all.
    -LP

Login to Give a bone

As for you issue of progress sets with no clouds, wouldn't it be easier to simply go into the revisions dialog box and just set all the revision to no cloud or tag?
    As you said the 8.5x11 sketch thing is the one that kills me. One of the other work arounds was to change the drawing/detail on the sheet it's one (don't duplicate) and print to a jpg or a blank pdf. Then use pdf editing tool to add the border or insert the pdf into a cad drawing, add your title block and done. no duplicate views. Just another thought.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by david_peterson View Post
    wouldn't it be easier to simply go into the revisions dialog box and just set all the revision to no cloud or tag?
    Meh... With multiple buildings/models with anywhere from 15 to 30 revisions each, add in that you have to use a drop down to manually turn off each off one at a time. Then do the same process over again once you are done printing... Pick your poison i guess.

As for manually exporting pdfs, I guess that could work as well but there's just something about adding an extra series of steps through a different software that makes me nervous. If I have to go back to a previous sketch and revise it or whatever I want to be able to go back to the model where everything else is.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but we just submitted our office's final deliverable for a project, a DD set. We'll be doing sketches from now on and adding bubbles. So a few questions:

-What would people do before Revit, say in Autocad?
    -What would people do before CAD when they were hand drafting? I ask these questions to get a sense of conventional industry practice, because I often go from there when trying to figure these things out.

As for duplicating views, why not just archive a model at significant delivery stages and actually change the drawing? The record of the previous drawing is presumably in a PDF or something, right? And for many changes, I imagine you'll want to change the model, not just annotations or detail elements. What am I missing re: duplicating views for sketches?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by damon.sidel View Post
    Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but we just submitted our office's final deliverable for a project, a DD set. We'll be doing sketches from now on and adding bubbles. So a few questions:

-What would people do before Revit, say in Autocad?
    In AutoCAD, I would typically create a new layout for construction sketches, add the appropriate construction sketch title block, fill in the attributes (title block information for the sketch), create a viewport (possibly by copying/pasting the viewport used for the full sheet, then resizing it if needed to fit on the sketch) and print the sketch. Hard copies may have been sent, or faxed, or, more recently, PDF made and emailed. Original copy (either hard copy or PDF) would be filed/archived.

-What would people do before CAD when they were hand drafting? I ask these questions to get a sense of conventional industry practice, because I often go from there when trying to figure these things out.
    Before CAD, get a sheet of velum or mylar with pre-printed sketch title block and tape it to the drawing board. Fill in title block information. Create sketch by some combination of drafting and/or copy/paste. Drafting could be all on the sketch, or the original mylars might be updated and a composite print made (we used overlay drafting), cut to fit sketch and taped up. A composite photocopy would then be made and reproduced for distribution or faxed to the appropriate parties.

As for duplicating views, why not just archive a model at significant delivery stages and actually change the drawing? The record of the previous drawing is presumably in a PDF or something, right? And for many changes, I imagine you'll want to change the model, not just annotations or detail elements. What am I missing re: duplicating views for sketches?
    In Revit, I would update the model (after archiving, if appropriate). The need for a duplicate view stems from the fact that the original view needs to remain on the original contract document sheet, and it cannot be on that sheet as well as on a sketch sheet. On a large job with a significant number of sketches, the duplicate views can get messy. An alternate method would be to make an image of the revised area, and put that on a drafting view, which then goes on the sketch sheet. Either way, I would make a PDF and file that in the project directory on the network to have an archival copy of the sketch, as it was issued.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast