23 44.23%
  • Don't care/Stop posting stupid polls

2 3.85%

Thread: Revision Clouds: Sheets vs. Views

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Login to Give a bone

Default Revision Clouds: Sheets vs. Views

We have an internal debate regarding where is the best place to locate our revision clouds (in views or on sheets). For our larger projects for which construction may take years we may end up issuing quite a few permit revisions, addenda, ASI's, and construction change directives. So, does anyone have any strong opinions one way or another?

This may not apply to everyone, but we've been typically issuing revisions on fullsize sheets versus smaller sketch sized sheets.

Thanks.

- Alex

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revision Clouds: Sheets vs. Views

The issue of putting them in views can have unwanted impact on consultants. If I have a view set-up with a linked model and that view is set to "By linked view" when you place that cloud it now shows up on my view and I have to go turn them all.
    We don't do 8.5x11 or anything like that anymore for a couple of reasons. One, Revit doesn't do them so well, two they take up much more time, and three, if I give you a full size sheet anyone can print only the portion they need to a 8.5x11 inside adobe.
    I'm starting a 1.2million sqft project, construction starts in Sept of this year and finishes sometime in 2017. I couldn't imagine the number of "Sketches" I'd have to do since our foundations go out before the Arch DD's. Should be lots of fun.

Login to Give a bone

It looks like most people would agree with you. Thanks for the response.

- Alex

Login to Give a bone

We debated the same and when the smoke cleared we all agreed to go with on sheets because you can't always put it in a view, like a schedule. So you don't want clouds in views AND sheets so your left with on the sheet.

Login to Give a bone

Don't get me started regarding clouding schedules... We've set up a door revision schedule that is populated with doors with certain instance parameter properties to avoid trying to cloud a schedule that may shrink or grow as we make revisions.

If anyone knows a way to select and poche individual rows in a schedule we would prefer to go that route.

- Alex

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

I just had this discussion in the office this morning! We are currently muddling through a construction project which is coming close to 700 RFIs. Unlike Dave's method, we DO use 8.5x11 sketches, and it is getting nasty. For us the problem is less about where the revision cloud goes, and more about how the change is documented.

Since you can't reference the same view onto multiple sheets, we end up duplicating views for every sketch we send out. The model is revised so any changes occur both on the original sheet and the sketch, but only the sketch gets a revision cloud. The main reason for this workflow is that we have a *ahem* somewhat difficult client who required us to print full progress sets withOUT revision clouds every now and again.

I'm not really sure if placing the revision cloud on the sheet rather than the view would actually affect us at all.
    -LP