Thread: Linked Files Issues

Login to Give a bone

Default Linked Files Issues

Two questions / hopes that I have for linking files into our Architectural file.

1. Is there a way to have the linked MEP or Structural file automatically visible in each View Template but automatically set to never print?

2. Is there a way to set the color of each linked Revit model to be a different color on screne? i.e. Structural model is red, MEP is blue, Civil is Green?

Thanks all for the help!

All AUGI, all the time CADastrophe's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Linked Files Issues

First off, welcome to AUGI!

Quote Originally Posted by esahnow View Post
    1. Is there a way to have the linked MEP or Structural file automatically visible in each View Template but automatically set to never print?
    Revit lacks the ability to set specified objects and Category to not print. Although you cannot include Worksets in a View Template (no Worksharing in Templates), you can place the linked models on a dedicated Workset and then close that Workset prior to printing.

Quote Originally Posted by esahnow View Post
    2. Is there a way to set the color of each linked Revit model to be a different color on screne? i.e. Structural model is red, MEP is blue, Civil is Green?
    I don't think that there's a quick way to accomplish this. With multiple links, I believe that you will have to edit the V/G Overrides (of the View or the View Template) for each model listed under the Revit Links tab. You can change the "Display Settings" to "Custom", and in that dialog, change the Model Category overrides to "Custom" and set all of the colors to whatever is desired. Aside from the arduousness of setting this up, another issue is that this will be overridden by any Phase Graphics or View Filters that will affect any of the nested elements.

Alternatively, depending on the simplicity of the Worksets (yours and in the other models), you make be able to set up some View Filter that include/exclude elements based on their Workset. This can either be easy or impossible depending on how things are set up, and what you are permitted to do.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by CADastrophe View Post
    First off, welcome to AUGI!

(question 2)

I don't think that there's a quick way to accomplish this. With multiple links, I believe that you will have to edit the V/G Overrides (of the View or the View Template) for each model listed under the Revit Links tab. You can change the "Display Settings" to "Custom", and in that dialog, change the Model Category overrides to "Custom" and set all of the colors to whatever is desired. Aside from the arduousness of setting this up, another issue is that this will be overridden by any Phase Graphics or View Filters that will affect any of the nested elements.

Alternatively, depending on the simplicity of the Worksets (yours and in the other models), you make be able to set up some View Filter that include/exclude elements based on their Workset. This can either be easy or impossible depending on how things are set up, and what you are permitted to do.
    I haven't tested it but couldn't you set up a view the way you want it (with work sets and VG settings) and save that view as a named template that you can apply to other views?

All AUGI, all the time CADastrophe's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by tedg View Post
    I haven't tested it but couldn't you set up a view the way you want it (with work sets and VG settings) and save that view as a named template that you can apply to other views?
    I would recommend that this coloring be built into the standard View Templates. This can be a PITA and must be [re]done for each separate linked model, in each project.

Delving deeper into this, the best method I can come up with to "update" the existing View Templates would be similar to what you've suggested:

1. Edit the current View Template and uncheck the box under "Include" for "V/G Overrides RVT Links".

2. Configure the Revit Link V/G settings as desired, then right-click on that View in the Project Browser, and select "Create Template from View...". In the following dialog, name the Template something that indicates its purpose, like "Link Painter" or something. Uncheck all of the boxes under the "Include" column except for "V/G Overrides RVT Links".

3. Right click on the current View in the Project Browser again and select "Create Template from View...". This time, enter the name of the View's current View Template and elect to override it. This recreation will "update" the View Template to include the Revit Link Overrides.

4. In order to update additional Views, first perform step #1 above for the current View's Template. Now just switch the current View's Template to "Link Painter", and then back again. Now Perform step #3 to "update" that View Template.

This is still a pain, but it may help streamline getting the Revit Link overrides into the View Templates that have already been established. I will reiterate that View Filters and Phase Filters will override this method, so existing elements in the linked model will inherit the appropriate Phase Graphics Overrides. (*There may be a work-around to defeat the Phase Graphics, though, if it should be requested that I look into it.)

edit:
    D'oh! Just noticed that overwriting the View Template (step #3) causes the other Views to drop that View Template. Even so, simply reassigning the View Template may be less work than adding the color into each Template.

Login to Give a bone

I'm testing that theory Ted and I've found that I can't differentiate between columns in the structural model and local columns in the architectural. When I change the VG settings it does it throughout the project and links, not just the linked file like I had hoped.

Login to Give a bone

A twist on CADastrophe approach is instead of building the links visibility into each of your view templates...keep them separate.

Change step 3 to read...Right click on the current View in the Project Browser again and select "Apply Template Properties..." and choose your "Link Painter" view template.

This approach keeps your host models visibility linked to your master view template and the link's visibility applied (but no linked) by the Link Painter view template. Turn you linked model(s) workset(s) off before printing.
    Last edited by kubsix; 2014-12-16 at 05:19 PM.