Thread: Moving from Trimble Terramodel to Civil 3d

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Login to Give a bone

Default Moving from Trimble Terramodel to Civil 3d

Making the switch as Trimble has failed with Trimble Business Center - HCE, and Terramodel has been off the update list for 3 years now I believe. I still use Trimble SCS900 for construction staking, topo's and other things. Is the current Trimble Link SCS900 friendly? I build road jobs in Terramodel and export them to SCS900 with no problems. But as far I can tell now exporting roads with Trimble Link requires Survey Controller, or exporting as a surface to SCS. Any suggestions to get roads into SCS900? Do I have to use LandXML? How about importing SCS900 data into AC3d? Will I be able to use a certain file on the controller made by SCS900 as a fbk file in AC3d?

Just some intial thoughts, thank you.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Moving from Trimble Terramodel to Civil 3d

FBK into C3D no problem att all.

Land XML should also work for your roadway surfaces, as well as points exported from the corridor model.

Login to Give a bone

As a former SCS900, Terramodel, Agtek Earthwork modeler myself, welcome to Civil 3D (and AUGI)!
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by RenderMan View Post
    As a former SCS900, Terramodel, Agtek Earthwork modeler myself, welcome to Civil 3D (and AUGI)!
    Thanks RenderMan. It's good to be here, and see some answers to questions I'll most likely have. Terramodel has been good to me. Millions and millions CY of dirt have been moved thanks to my models, and I'll always have it as a backup. But Trimble has just simply failed lately with their software decisions. I'm excited to learn Civil 3d. Just the small amount I have dealt with C3d, it seems really powerful. I hope my purchase today is well worth it.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

You can export a CSV, or TXT file and get the same functions as FBK, so there is no need to create one.
    Alignments and surfaces can be sent out as XML.

I need to check with one of my students at a grading contractor in Kansas about how or what they do exactly with there models these days...I think they load surfaces alignments and feature lines directly into their grading equipment.
    Sometimes after develpong a process, and teaching a method, I lose track oh how it develops when put to practical use over time on real projects.

Login to Give a bone

I would recommend against using the FBK. I have heard nothing but complaints about it for years.

You really don't need to use it since C3D 2010 anyway. You can export an ASCII file from the data collector or business center and import that into C3D. With the use of description keys and point styles you can control the layer and appearancece of your points. You can use linework code sets and survey figures to automatically draw line work from field data.

We are currently reassessing our procedures for getting data from C3D to the collector but it will be a combination of XML (mostly surfaces), Trimble Link (alignments, profiles, corridors) and ASCII files from points.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks Michael. SCS900 doesn't create a FBK file and I was wondering if Trimble Link or C3d uses trimble's file (*.spj I believe) and could convert to a FBK file. Also, would exporting the road (corridor) in XML be alignment based or a surface? For example I cannot stakeout catch points in a surface, but if it is a road file with slopes predetermined then I can in SCS900.