Thread: Material UI in 2013

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Login to Give a bone

Default Material UI in 2013

Anyone else wondering what's the big idea with the material UI in Revit (and general materials organizational breakdown)? It took a weird turn a few versions back and has just mutated into a cluster of funky organizational issues. I use Revit in conjunction with 3d studio often, yet don't want to sacrifice the clarity and simplicity of the Revit UI to make it feel more exotic in the materials department. Really... Revit is a BIM tool and every step of it's experience I expect to reflect some sort of building organizational classification clarity- the materials UI isn't there.

To their credit, the Revit development team has been juggling user complaints about rendering in Revit for ages. I remember the acurender dark ages... Revit has come a long way since then. I wonder if the materials UI is suffering in its organization clarity because there have been so many stakeholders to appease along it's developmental path - and it's original design intent has been lost.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Material UI in 2013

I was reading a PDF from Autodesk a few weeks ago showing all the new 2013 features, which went through the new materials dialog. But now I can't seem to find a link to that document.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Ms. Wood,

You're probably going do downgrade my reputation for this, but the below link is to Revit 2013's help file about materials. If you're firm is like mine, you're not able to view YouTube, but this has videos hosted by another site I was able to watch. I was asked this morning about the Materials UI. Time for some serious reading/experimenting.

Cheers,
    Jeff

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Revit/e...0-Material3060

Login to Give a bone

Does your firm really not allow you to view YouTube? I'd say least half the time the tutorials that end up helping me are on YouTube. Seems kinda like a self-defeating policy...

And I usually find the Autodesk help website vague and useless. It often seems like it only explains the bit that I already figured out, and that works fine... and completely ignores the more complicated aspects.

Login to Give a bone

I work for a company that YouTube is not allowed.
    After we got Revit, last year, IS said we could not download content from Autodesk Seek we were to ask them and they would dl. I asked for every door in Seek they came back and said ok you can get content on an as needed basis. So you can see how far we are from getting to YouTube.

Whenever there is a video i need to watch I do it on my personal phone just so I can do my job.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by j23weiss512041 View Post
    Does your firm really not allow you to view YouTube? I'd say least half the time the tutorials that end up helping me are on YouTube. Seems kinda like a self-defeating policy...
    Well we had a summer intern that abused the open internet policy. He spent a great deal of time on MySpace, Facebook, ESPN & YouTube, and didn't really work much. AUGI was off limits for a few months too. When I can't find what I'm looking for elsewhere I download YouTube videos at home and bring them in on a flash drive. But then I get to deal with my IT staff .

Cheers,
    Jeff S.