Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Using SketchUp?

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Anyone Using SketchUp?

I just read a review of the new and greatly enhanced SketchUp 5.0 thru Ten Links Daily, and it looks pretty interesting. I'm wondering if any of the Revit users out there are also using SketchUp, and if so, in what capacity.

It appears as if it would be, or could be, a good design concept tool to deliver quick 'hand prepared' sketches for client presentation.

Can SketchUp be used in conjunction with Revit, or are there ways within Revit to achieve these techniques? As a somewhat new Revit user with my hands full learning the finer details of the software, should any thoughts of adding SketchUp to my plate be abandoned?

Login to Give a bone

Thumbs up Re: Anyone Using SketchUp?

I have the same question in reverse... I use SketchUp and I am wondering if Revit would be a good fit for me rather than ADT...

SketchUp is very easy to use, and is a quick tool for design concepts... download the demo, but before you use the free 8 hours, be sure to view the tutorials on their website... I think you'll like it...

I use it quite often, and for people that can't read plans, it really helps to get the idea across...

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Anyone Using SketchUp?

I've been using SketchUp for a couple years and I really love it. It is great for 3D preliminary design. The program is very easy to learn, yet it is fairly easy to create complex 3D geometry quickly. And the 'sketchy' look and real-time sun shadows are great for preliminary presentations. It is a fantastic 3D design tool.

I also own a copy of Revit, but I haven't had time to integrate it into my workflow. Currently I'm using ADT for CD's. So I'm not sure how much Revit could be used in conjunction with SketchUp. I think with RB 8.0 you can import a 3D dwg SketchUp model and use the massing tools to create walls, roofs, floors, with the pick face tool. Unless a greater degree of bi-directional interaction is developed between Revit and SketchUp, I feel that for me, Revit will eventually replace SketchUp in my workflow. I really can't justify the time lost in developing a model in SketchUp if I would be basically starting over from scratch in Revit. However, I would definitely miss the 'sketchy' look and real-time shadow features, among others, of SketchUp.

Login to Give a bone

Talking Re: Anyone Using SketchUp?

Quote Originally Posted by rookwood
    I just read a review of the new and greatly enhanced SketchUp 5.0 thru Ten Links Daily, and it looks pretty interesting. I'm wondering if any of the Revit users out there are also using SketchUp, and if so, in what capacity.

It appears as if it would be, or could be, a good design concept tool to deliver quick 'hand prepared' sketches for client presentation.

Can SketchUp be used in conjunction with Revit, or are there ways within Revit to achieve these techniques? As a somewhat new Revit user with my hands full learning the finer details of the software, should any thoughts of adding SketchUp to my plate be abandoned?
    sketchup seems to have been discussed a bit on the forums... don't know how recent the info...
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Login to Give a bone

Since switching to Revit, we've stopped using Sketchup. It's an amazing program, but we found that it was a bit of a dead end. That is to say, you had to draw everything over to move on to CD's. Also, Sketchup couldn't handle the complexity and file size that Revit can. The sketchy views are nice, but we do "sketches" by hand and "drawings" on the computer. Just my 2 cents.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Are you seeking the hand drawn look for presentations, or are you planning on using Sketchup as a design tool? Then what for CD's? Been fooling with all this software for a little over 25 years now, and a strong believer in keeping it simple. I use three programs for my architecture practice now. Revit, 3dsmax (and maxwell) and Photoshop. If you have sketchup, that's one thing. If you're dropping 5 c notes on the program, buy Photoshop instead, and review the tutorials on using Photoshop to enchance presentations.

Can SketchUp be used in conjunction with Revit, or are there ways within Revit to achieve these techniques?
    The quick 3d movies (page concept really cool) in Sketchup, some issues with topo, but solvable. Big model imports from Revit choke it down. Again my experience says choose a program, learn that program, then expand your software arsenal. Modeling Revit to Sketchup works, but modeling in Sketchup to Revit works better. That said, I would vote Revit + Photoshop IF you are spending $500.00.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Skisouth
    Are you seeking the hand drawn look for presentations, or are you planning on using Sketchup as a design tool? Then what for CD's? Been fooling with all this software for a little over 25 years now, and a strong believer in keeping it simple. I use three programs for my architecture practice now. Revit, 3dsmax (and maxwell) and Photoshop. If you have sketchup, that's one thing. If you're dropping 5 c notes on the program, buy Photoshop instead, and review the tutorials on using Photoshop to enchance presentations.

The quick 3d movies (page concept really cool) in Sketchup, some issues with topo, but solvable. Big model imports from Revit choke it down. Again my experience says choose a program, learn that program, then expand your software arsenal. Modeling Revit to Sketchup works, but modeling in Sketchup to Revit works better. That said, I would vote Revit + Photoshop IF you are spending $500.00.
    I have been using most all of the Adobe software (Photoshop, Illustrator,etc.) for several years and use Photoshop on my Revit renderings only to sharpen and make minor adjustments to the final image. I suppose I never considered any of the specialized filters to achieve any effect except that of photorealism. That was the initial reason for my switching from ADT to Revit.

I, personally, found Architectural Studio an interesting program and enjoyed using it. It seems to me that SketchUp can be likened to an 'intelligent' version of Studio. I have been around a very long time and still marvel over a nicely done set of hand architectural drawings and was always envious of those who could create good looking freehand presentation sketches. Perhaps that is why I find the capabilities of SketchUp enticing. To create a somewhat intelligent colored and shadowed preliminary design concept for presentation purposes. As a watercolorist and old timer, I find architectural drawings with extended and squiggled linework a positive for initial concept presentation.

My question is: What happens AFTER you have completed the SketchUp phase and settled in with a design concept. Can your SketchUp efforts be used in Revit? By the responses here, everyone who has, or is, using SketchUp find it a fascinating program and eventually bail out because it's efforts are redundant to Revit. I am not looking for a replacement as I have committed my company entirely to Revit. I would rather concentrate my efforts on something like SketchUp rather than refinement add ons like Maxwell Render.

andrewp had a great suggestion which I am following by viewing the tutorial videos prior to activating the 8 hour trial version. Initially, I think the combination of SketchUp and Revit could be a great combination. I just need the views from people such as you who can look beyond the sales pitch and know the weaknesses.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

We only use SU for exporting to Piranesi. As stated before nice tool but time wasted as it is a dead end to production and since moving further into Revit our project size upon export to SU just chokes the program even V5. Revit just works better.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

I have been using most all of the Adobe software (Photoshop, Illustrator,etc.) for several years and use Photoshop on my Revit renderings only to sharpen and make minor adjustments to the final image. I suppose I never considered any of the specialized filters to achieve any effect except that of photorealism. That was the initial reason for my switching from ADT to Revit.
    See this thread.HERE Lots of experimenting going on, never quite found that "sketchy" feeling that sketchup does so well.

My question is: What happens AFTER you have completed the SketchUp phase and settled in with a design concept. Can your SketchUp efforts be used in Revit?

Export to dwg into revit. Not 3d "intelligent". Not a route I would choose, but the mass modeler in Revit would take a second seat to Sketchup's.

All AUGI, all the time Max Lloyd's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Personally I love SketchUP for the way it does simple and fast presentations, in particular in video form. As Skisouth eluded to, the page tool in SU is very very good. It enables you to create very fast flyrounds and walkthroughs. I export via dwg to SU and create video files of virtually every project I work on currently. This link is of a recent project. http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=18070

Within this file it highlights a couple of other features SU has which are brilliant. Firstly the ability to do animated sections (always blows them away) and the 'glass house' view mode. It used to be up to revit 7 that the ability to do shadows in a non rendered view was the killer reason for using SU, now for me its the above 3 tools. However, I get the impression its a matter of time before revit gets these (or at least I hope so, HINT HINT DEVELOPERS), so what is the long term future for SU? Not sure.

It is a very cool, intuitive piece of software. The push pull tool is another great one as is the red green & blue axis lines that allow you to work in a 3d view with perspective on (another thing revit could learn from....as well as the ability to 3d 'orbit' around a model with the centre of the VIEW being the centre of rotation, NOT the centre of the model!)

Anyway, as suggested, view the excellent tutorials and play away. Just be clear about what you want to use it for.

Max.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast