Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creating a wall type legend

Login to Give a bone

Default Creating a wall type legend

I was hoping someone would be able to help me out with this. I've created a new legend, added the wall types I want shown on the legend, and here's where my problem comes in. I try to tag the wall type and I can't, I'm assuming this is because the wall is a component?
    Next I try inserting the wall tag symbol onto the legend and that works but I cant change the number of the wall tag, it's stuck at 1i. What I was looking for was to show the wall graphically that has a tag that corresponds to what I've numbered the wall on the floor plan.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Creating a wall type legend

I think this is an instance where the annotation in Revit is so smart, it can't be dumb. To get that symbol into the legend you would need to make a generic annotation family.

Just a similar example: I have a university client that numbers all of their stairs with a room tag; so, for atrium stairs where I don't technically have a room, I had to create a generic annotation tag that looked just like the smart one. Don't forget you can copy/paste regularly in Revit's family editor, so making the duplicate is fairly easy.

Hope this helps.

Login to Give a bone

We either use text under the wall legend object, or we do as we did in the past before legends. Create a PHASE before existing called Standards and draw all our walls there. Cut a section and place that on the sheet as the wall types legend. Fully taggable and with 9 material tags work.

We have generally been dissapointed with legends and have moved away from them because of their dumbness.

Login to Give a bone

Cool solution!

We use legends that are usually only text (general notes, etc.) and filled regions. Keep it very simple and they work great!

All AUGI, all the time clog boy's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Simplicity is the key, and persistence.
    Window legends. A pain in the @$$. We had to use reference planes to dimension sill- and head heights. Can't remember how we used to tag them, but I wouldn't be surprised if we used plain text (with the actual window schedule on the same sheet).
    past before legends
    How about the past before myths?

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for all your input.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cphubb View Post
    Create a PHASE before existing called Standards and draw all our walls there..
    Brilliant!

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cphubb View Post
    We either use text under the wall legend object, or we do as we did in the past before legends. Create a PHASE before existing called Standards and draw all our walls there. Cut a section and place that on the sheet as the wall types legend. Fully taggable and with 9 material tags work.

We have generally been dissapointed with legends and have moved away from them because of their dumbness.
    just brilliant

Login to Give a bone

I've heard of some people doing TWO phases before existing. One to place objects for your "legends" and another in which all that stuff gets demolished. That way there are absolutely no remnants of that stuff left on the Existing and later phases that may interfere with your building elements.

Login to Give a bone

If you actually do a future phase after the last one you won't need to worry about demolishing all of it. I always do a Phase called Administration after my New Construction Phase that I put all my wall types in, Door and window types, hollow metal frames, etc. No one will ever see a future phase. I also put all these items on a workset called Administration just to be safe so consultants can not import that workset.

The other nice thing about using an actual view as opposed to a legend is you can manage your building elements. I like to "select all instances in entire project" in my admin "legend" view to see how many instances of that particular element is being used in the project. If there's only one I know it's not being used in the project anymore and I know the wall type can be removed from the project. You could do this with a schedule as well but I like the visual.
    Last edited by kmarquis; 2012-04-30 at 06:17 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast