Thread: AutoCad WS and datasampling on site

Login to Give a bone

Question AutoCad WS and datasampling on site

Hello all,

This is my first post on this forum. Nice to meet all of you. My name is Harrie Munnik, and I am working with Adviesbureau Munnik (fire safety engineering). English is not my native language, so I hope I can myself understandable.

I have a question regarding working with AutoCad WS on a tablet. Our compagny does a lot of inspections in existing buildings. Most of the buildings have drawings in AutoCad. During these audits the auditors have large paper drawings (A0 format), a camera, paper, a pen and sometimes other tools to do the inspections.

For example:
    We see a problem in a building (wrong materieal used). I have to take a note on my drawing, make a picture with my camera, write additional information, take note of the number of the picture to connect it to a position, add more information on the solution of the problem. After doing the inspection I need to get the pictures of the camera, place them into a document, add all the information of the problems, positions solutions, etc in a document for my costumer. I would like to combine this functionalities inside a tablet application. Are there addons for AutoCad WS or something simular, so that doing these inspections could be (more) automated. Using AutoCad WS and a template for office already is making the work more automated, but I am curious of there are more pro solutions for this task.

Kind regards,

Harrie Munnik

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: AutoCad WS and datasampling on site

Welcome to AUGI forums, Harrie! Great to have you here.

I have not used any add-ons for this, as I just got a tablet myself and have only used AutoCAD WS. And, being as I am the only one using it yet, a larger, inter-connected, solution isn't something on the horizon for us.

I will suggest that maybe you look at the capabilities of Vela Systems, only because I have a friend who has told me (see article here) that is how his company tracks changes and different types of notes in the field.

Here's a quote:
    Clayco employees use Vela Mobile iPad for jobsite information tracking, drawing markups, access to construction sets, RFI tracking, punch lists, safety issues, and daily issues. Before using this app, they marked up paper forms, which later had to be transferred manually into records back at the office.
    I do look forward to seeing if other members of this forum have more suggestions or experience with other applications, because I would like to know also.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Login to Give a bone

Thank you for your fast reply. I am investigating the Vela Systems. The ideas are simular. It looks a bit that this is a new area. I have looked in many different ways now and I have seen some home made apps, but not a pro solution. Thank you for the hint!

Login to Give a bone

Not a problem, it's only pure chance that I happened to find out about that one myself.

I'm guessing you're right that there may not be much available for pro solutions at this point. I wonder if that will change as jobsite tablets become ubiquitous.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost