Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hover Over Comment Pop-up

All AUGI, all the time SRBalliet's Avatar
    Near Christiansburg, VA Looking for a closer job!
    Login to Give a bone

Default Hover Over Comment Pop-up

Does anyone know of a way to or is it possible to:

Place a number (insert a field) in a drawing, that when you hover your mouse over it, a comment box or text box would pop-up with additional information. (Like the forum threads do.) I would think this would be something beneficial to facility management drawings.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Hover Over Comment Pop-up

Quote Originally Posted by SRBalliet View Post

Place a number (insert a field) in a drawing, that when you hover your mouse over it, a comment box or text box would pop-up with additional information. (Like the forum threads do.) I would think this would be something beneficial to facility management drawings.
    How about a hyperlink that doesn't actually link to anything?

Login to Give a bone

Not to get off-topic, but, what type of information would you forsee putting in there? I'm curious what the best benefit would be, and who would be using it.

If you have information that you might not want to see often, you could always put it in as an Attribute, but, just set ATTDISP to OFF, then, when you wanted to view that information, turning it back ON.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Login to Give a bone

Nevermind my question, Steve. I see your post and the accompanying discussion over in the Wishlist Forum.
    So, you have photographs from the field and you want them to easily pop-up with the associated image when you hover over an element within the drawing file like some other software packages can do.

Not that it's on-topic, but, I did attempt a project a few years back to hyperlink images to certain views and entities in some drawings, but, the decision was that the time it took to set these up wasn't worth the amount they were actually being used by our engineers and mechanics, so the initiative was abandoned and we just used folder organization and viewing through windows explorer instead.
    If there was an add-on that did this, I would hope it has a simple to use interface to enable a quick insertion/linking, etc of the image to speed up the process.

Cheers.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jaberwok View Post
    How about a hyperlink that doesn't actually link to anything?
    But it still would take you from the drawing, wouldn't it?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
    Not to get off-topic, but, what type of information would you forsee putting in there? I'm curious what the best benefit would be, and who would be using it.

If you have information that you might not want to see often, you could always put it in as an Attribute, but, just set ATTDISP to OFF, then, when you wanted to view that information, turning it back ON.
    We want information available to people not familiar with AutoCAD but have the ability to open the drawing and look at it. For example we have a large papermill with eyewash and safety showers throughout the mill. To be able to hover over a location and have other information (that will not fit on the drawing) pop-up. I have not been told what information yet, but I was asked to look into the possibility.

Login to Give a bone

No, if you just fill in the text you want to display, but don't enter a url to navigate to, then it won't take you away from the dwg. You could also publish it as a dwf or pdf and it would have the same effect. However, the hyperlink dialog won't let you create one without a url. You can do it with code though and create your own command. I think newer versions allow you to create custom tooltips though. Currently, if you hover over an ent, you get layer, linetype, color, etc.
    Last edited by Ed Jobe; 2012-04-30 at 09:20 PM.
    C:> ED WORKING....

LinkedIn

Login to Give a bone

But it still would take you from the drawing, wouldn't it?
    No, because the user wouldn't click it but your mention, in your wish list item, of image files makes the suggestion irrelevant. In this thread you only mentioned text.

All AUGI, all the time arshiel88's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

How about publishing the drawing to PDF, then add comments(sticky notes) via Adobe Reader.
    pop-up.png
    (mouse pointer is not showing but its pointing in the dialog icon)

You can also change the icons appearance. But it only allows text comments, not images.
    I don't know if Design Review markups have these features.

Login to Give a bone

We want information available to people not familiar with AutoCAD but have the ability to open the drawing and look at it. For example we have a large papermill with eyewash and safety showers throughout the mill. To be able to hover over a location and have other information (that will not fit on the drawing) pop-up. I have not been told what information yet, but I was asked to look into the possibility.
    Okay, thanks for the clarification, Steve!

If we're just talking text, I'd go with Ed's suggestion (although, I'm not sure if there's a character limit using that method, not knowing how much data you'll be asked to include).

Edit: Okay, now I've seen Ed's other comment, and he thinks there's a 256 character limit. Just wanted to record that here for posterity.
    Last edited by Wanderer; 2012-05-01 at 01:07 PM. Reason: clarity
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Technical Editor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast