Thread: Plumbing Fixtures Shifting

Login to Give a bone

Default Plumbing Fixtures Shifting

Hi,
    Using Revit MEP 2013, I have a toilet with a sanitary and cold water connection. The sanitary is already connected, I am trying to connect the two lengths of cold water piping, and no matter how I do it, it shifts the fixture as seen in pic2. I have dragged both pieces of pipe to connect them, as well as right click on the connection and choose draw pipe and it still shifts the fixture. Does anyone know why it does this? seems kinda odd, and its a huge pain if you want your fixtures to line up. Is there a way to lock the fixtures in place so they don't move?

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Plumbing Fixtures Shifting

This sounds kinda simple but have you tried locking a dimension string to keep the fixture in place?

Login to Give a bone

Thats exactly what I thought to do and I thought for sure it would work, but I just end up getting the "Constraints not satisfied" error, so I have to either unconstrain the fixture, where I end up with the same issue, or cancel. I've seen it happen before, and I believe it worked to just delete the sanitary pipe connected to the fixture and redraw it. I just wish I knew exactly why Revit thinks I am trying to move the fixture. Its taking up more time to verify that the fixture is located where it is supposed to be, and then to verify that the drawing will look correct when plotted. I'm thinking this can all be avoided if you drawing the connections and piping in a specific order, but why does Revit need everything to be so precise as to the order of how you make a model?

Login to Give a bone

Ok, so I deleted the sanitary pipe, connected the cold water, and reconnected the sanitary in an elevation view, and it is doing something similar. Except this time all I did was drag the sanitary pipe up to make it shorter. Revit then shifted the toilet towards the wall. You can see the dimension from the back of the toilet tank to the centerline of the cold water pipe get shorter. Then I dragged the sanitary pipe STRAIGHT down and Revit put a bend in the pipe (pic5). I am starting to think it might be an issue with the fixture family, but I have no idea. Has anyone seen something similar? It seems like the connections on the fixture are not exactly located where they connect to on the family. sounds kinda weird, but hope that makes sense.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

is that your own face based toilet family, or a copy/monitor from an architectural link? try mocking one up down the wall with a stock revit toilet (or one you know works properly) and a copied pipe stack and see if it does it to that one too. there might be some weird mounting face constraints in the family itself.

Login to Give a bone

It is my own toilet family, downloaded from a manufacturer. It is not a copy/monitor from a linked model. I did try to recreate the issue with the ootb toilet from Revit 2013, that one works fine. So pretty much there is something wrong with the manufacturer's Revit families. Hard enough to find Revit models of mechanical and plumbing equipment and fixtures, doesn't help when the manufacturer's Revit families are messed up. Guess I'll open up the family and see what's up, I think you're right, probably some constraint is messed up.

All AUGI, all the time JoelLondenberg's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

If you upload your family, someone can probably figure it out.

Login to Give a bone

Here it is. If anyone would like to try and fix it, go ahead. I would appreciate it.