Thread: View titles with fields and dynamic block(s)

Login to Give a bone

Post View titles with fields and dynamic block(s)

We're using Autocad 2012.
    We are also using Sheet Set Manager and have our .dwt file set up with fields.

When we insert an new view on a sheet the view title comes in fine but we have to draw a separate line under the title.

In an effort to make this process more efficient I updated our view title drawing file to include a dynamic block so that the line under the title can be stretched after the view (and view title) is placed on the sheet.

The problem is that the the line can't be stretched until the view title is exploded and then the fields are lost (drawing number, view title and scale).

Is there a way to be able to dynamically stretch the line without having to explode the block and reassign (update) the fields?

Thanks!
    Attached Files Attached Files

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: View titles with fields and dynamic block(s)

Hi there,

I think that the problem with your call out block is that the dynamic block is nested inside the call out block. Put ALL your call out block inside the dynamic block (no nested blocks) and you should be golden.

There are some really good examples of sheet set ready call out blocks hosted on the default AutoCAD tool palettes. To create my call out blocks I used one of these and then edited it until I got what I wanted.

I hope that this helps.

Paul

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the reply.

I followed your suggestion and I created a copy of AutoCAD's 'Drawing Title - Imperial' (from the default tool palettes) as its own .dwg file and pointed the 'label block for views' in the SSM's Sheet Set Properties to that file.

When I drag a model view from SSM to the sheet, the view comes in simultaneously with this 'Drawing Title'.
    I didn't modify the 'Drawing Title' to add any fields as I just wanted to confirm if the dynamic properties work once the view/Drawing Title are placed.

The problem is (as it is with the DRAWING CALLOUT.dwg file I was first working with) that the dynamic properties won't work until the 'Drawing Title' is exploded.
    If I go back into the 'Drawing Title' and create fields so the view number, name and scale are automatically entered, these will be lost if I have to explode the Title to get the dynamic properties to work.

I suppose one work around is to place the view first, then place the view title with it's dynamic and field attribute properties but it's nice the have both view and title placed at the same time.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Hmm,

Did you make sure that, when you selected the call out block, you checked the 'Choose Blocks in the drawing file' radio button - and selected the block you wanted to use?

I think this could be it - let me know if that works.

Paul

Login to Give a bone

Hi Paul,

I re-pathed the 'Label block for views' in the SSM to our office template which has the view title block with fields and dynamic block, checked the 'Choose Blocks in the drawing file' radio button and selected the block. Unfortunately that didn't work. The view title still comes - in what appears to be - as a 'nested' block.

Maybe its the block itself. The view title is a separate drawing file with a dynamic block (line stretch) and attributes with fields for the view's number, title and scale.
    The view title drawing is an inserted block in the .dwt file we point to to create new sheets.
    Is there a system variable I'm not aware of?

Thanks for staying with me on this one.

jvo

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Jvo,

'I think that the problem with your call out block is that the dynamic block is nested inside the call out block. Put ALL your call out inside the dynamic block (no nested blocks) and you should be golden'

Did you re-build your own title block? Did you edit one of the AutoCAD content blocks? If you did - then the only thing I can suggest is to make sure that you've purged the old definition from your current drawing before you test the new block.

The block that you uploaded to begin with won't work, because the dynamic property is nested inside the call out block.

Here are some very good posts for your delectation:
    http://heidihewett.blogs.com/my_webl..._happen_s.html
    http://heidihewett.blogs.com/my_webl...appen_s_1.html
    http://heidihewett.blogs.com/my_webl..._happen_s.html