Thread: Updating Model Files

Login to Give a bone

Default Updating Model Files

Here is what I have....a .NWD file from the coordinator with all the clash reports for about 5 different trades.

What I want to do is make changes to my .dwg file and then "refresh" so that my NEW .dwg file comes in and updates the clash reports.

Can I do this with an .NWD? Or do I need the coordinator to send me his original .NWF file to be able to do this?

Or am I just way off here?

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Updating Model Files

First thing, you will need to have Manage to do this:
    1) Find in the Selection Tree your particular DWG and hide it
    2) Link in your updated DWG (hopefully it will come in at the right location, but if not you will need to transform it into position)
    3)Now the fun part: Look at the batch clash jobs and determine how the selection is being done, then you duplicate the process. How easy this is will be determined on how the batches were first done. If Search/Selection Sets were used, your new DWG may not meet the Find criteria anymore. If just selecting the file names were used, then you should be able to just reselect your DWG from the Select tab list.

BTW, you are not 'way off' at all, I use this workflow in most coordination projects to which I am involved.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Hopefully you are working closely enough with your coordinator that you can just send him the updated dwg file and have him update the clash results on his end, sending you another nwd with the updated clash reports in it. Otherwise, you will need to recreate the nwf file with all of the source files (and their file structure) to update it on your end. At that point, you will have two separate working documents--your recreated nwf and the coordinators nwf working independently (not ideal).

Does any of that make sense?

All AUGI, all the time pauljordan's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I'd prefer the contractors make thier changes to the drawing files, then add notes to the viewpoints that I export for them indicating whether a clash has been corrected, approved, etc.. Then I can import those back into my NWF file and see thier results.

There are quite a few schools of thought when it comes to coordination between contractors, general contractors, and even the original A/E that still may or may not be cranking out design while the project is under way. A lot of it involves tracking of clashes with viewpoints, how the viewpoints are referenced, etc. I've seen Prolog used for tracking clashes and viewpoints but, all you're able to see are viewpoint or clash numbers, no images to give you an idea of what the clash actually is.

The newer format of 2012 NavisWorks Manage handles clash reports much better with the tabular format. Now if we can get the viewpoints can come up to that level of detail (tabular format) we'll be cooking with gas!!
    Give a man AutoCad, and he'll draw you a floor plan.
    Give a man Revit and he'll build you a house.
    Give Cadmama a couple of drinks and she'll have everyone singing Rockytop!

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by mitch.cornelius View Post
    Hopefully you are working closely enough with your coordinator that you can just send him the updated dwg file and have him update the clash results on his end, sending you another nwd with the updated clash reports in it. Otherwise, you will need to recreate the nwf file with all of the source files (and their file structure) to update it on your end. At that point, you will have two separate working documents--your recreated nwf and the coordinators nwf working independently (not ideal).

Does any of that make sense?
    Makes plenty of sense. And that is pretty much what I have been doing at time. Your right not ideal.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by pauljordan View Post
    I'd prefer the contractors make thier changes to the drawing files, then add notes to the viewpoints that I export for them indicating whether a clash has been corrected, approved, etc.. Then I can import those back into my NWF file and see thier results.

There are quite a few schools of thought when it comes to coordination between contractors, general contractors, and even the original A/E that still may or may not be cranking out design while the project is under way. A lot of it involves tracking of clashes with viewpoints, how the viewpoints are referenced, etc. I've seen Prolog used for tracking clashes and viewpoints but, all you're able to see are viewpoint or clash numbers, no images to give you an idea of what the clash actually is.

The newer format of 2012 NavisWorks Manage handles clash reports much better with the tabular format. Now if we can get the viewpoints can come up to that level of detail (tabular format) we'll be cooking with gas!!
    Yeah I heard that 2013 is getting even better. Part of the evolution I guess.