Thread: Array from outside on both sides

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Array from outside on both sides

I have a dynamic block question that I'm not even sure how to word it. Basically here is what I need:

The plate length will vary in length from 10'-0" to 20'-0". There are anchor studs every 6" on this plate. The studs must be 3" from the both ends. So the slack/atypical dimensions go in the center.

I've added the linear stretches to the plate, but I don't know how to do the array. The only thing that I would know to do is have the array start from the outside and work in towards the center. But then that means I have to have two grips, one for each side.

Is there a way to combine the array so that I only have 1 grip?

I would have attached an example, but I have no idea how this new attachment manager works. So frustrating.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by jodi_sherrell; 2012-05-17 at 04:35 PM. Reason: added attachment

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Array from outside on both sides

I'd create a locked dimension 3" from the bottom and top edge to your anchor studs; then an array action between the two studs, with perhaps increment arrays between 16" to 22". With your plate length action, as you grip the length perametre handle your anchor studs should array the one end as desired.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Wow, I think that I FINALLY figured out how to attach documents to AUGI! I had to go into my profile settings and change the advanced editor options.

I have another question about dynamic blocks similiar to the one above. Every single time I use the array parameters/actions with a stretch I can never get them to work properly. I've tried doing it at least 10 different ways (chains on/off, one parameter for both, two parameters, etc...) I cannot figure it out.

Basically the problem is that I can get the stretch and array grips to work together. But the array won't go all the way with the stretch. My array on this block needs to be spaced at 8'-4". Well if there is supposed to be a new slot arrayed to within 2" or so of the end of rail, the array won't show. Its like the grip for the array has to go way past the grip for the stretch in order to show it to the end.Can anyone please help? If I can figure this out there are many amazing things I can do with dynamic blocks.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

No one can help?

Login to Give a bone

Try this:

arraystretch-rev.dwg

It took a couple of days to see the issue. This might work for you.

Dave.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

This is VERY close to what I need, but not exactly. The only problem is that I need the stretch grip to be on the edge of the plate, not centered on the slot. Any other advice? I'm really struggling with this one and it would make my life soooooo much easier to figure it out.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jodi_sherrell View Post
    Wow, I think that I FINALLY figured out how to attach documents to AUGI! I had to go into my profile settings and change the advanced editor options.

I have another question about dynamic blocks similiar to the one above. Every single time I use the array parameters/actions with a stretch I can never get them to work properly. I've tried doing it at least 10 different ways (chains on/off, one parameter for both, two parameters, etc...) I cannot figure it out.

Basically the problem is that I can get the stretch and array grips to work together. But the array won't go all the way with the stretch. My array on this block needs to be spaced at 8'-4". Well if there is supposed to be a new slot arrayed to within 2" or so of the end of rail, the array won't show. Its like the grip for the array has to go way past the grip for the stretch in order to show it to the end.Can anyone please help? If I can figure this out there are many amazing things I can do with dynamic blocks.
    I believe that you had the solution when you said that the array grip had to go out past the stretch. I moved the array grip out 8'-2" and modified the selection sets to include the new location and I believe that the attached drawing is what you were seeking.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

This is EXACTLY what I wanted. But i still don't understand the method. What is the meaning behind the parameter node being way out in space? What effect does that have?
    BlockProperties-.bmp

Login to Give a bone

My example above would work the same as WT's by making the Distance1 parameter Value Set/Distance type property = None instead of incrementing it.

Dave.