Thread: Prevent profile change to ASD

Login to Give a bone

Default Prevent profile change to ASD

Hi

I have both Autocad and ASD installed on my computer and this causes one annoying feature. I work mainly with Autocad and some times I need to open files created with ASD. When I open files created with ASD Autocad changes profile to Structural detailing. This is annoying because it changes all menus, ribbons etc and takes time. I can go back to state before opening file by changig profile from options to normal CAD. Is there anyway to prevent Autocad changing profile to ASD when opening files created with ASD?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Prevent profile change to ASD

I had the same problem. I received a boxed version of Revit Structure Suite 2013 which only had an installation disc for Revit Structure 2013 and AutoCAD Structural Detailing 2013. Like you I primarily use AutoCAD and really never need to use ASD. Finding a launch icon for vanilla autoCAD was difficult enough but i managed to put one on the desktop and create my workspace for AutoCAD, saved the workspace and my custom CUI settings. I wondered if ASD would open as ASD and AutoCAD as AutoCAD. I opened ASD and it looked just like the original installation but when I closed ASD and opened AutoCAD it also looked like ASD. I was able to get my AutoCAd workspace back by changing the profile setting in Options to AutoCAD (instead of ASD) and then changing my workspace back to the custom one I'd created but how annoying is that?

If you are on a subscription contract might I suggest you go into subscription center and see if there's a download for just AutoCAD. Your post didn't specify which version you have. I found a download for AutoCAD 2012 as well as ASD 2012 and Revit Structure 2012 in subscription center so I downloaded and installed AutoCAD 2012 and it opens as AutoCAD and NOT ASD! In my 2013 download folder I don't see AutoCAD 2013...just Revit Structure and ASD.

I've been complaining to autodesk since 2011 about not having a separate installation disc for AutoCAD but nobody has ever suggested just downloading it from their subscription center. I guess they like to keep us in the dark...either that or they're all a bunch of incompetent boobs!

Please let me know if your able to see AutoCAD 2013 as an available download. I desperately want my AutoCAD 2013 since I paid for it!

Login to Give a bone

Go to your workspaces tab. You will find the different options to choose from, of wich 'AutoCAD Classic' is one. This takes you to the normal AutoCAD interface from within ASD. ASD is basically build on the standard AutoCAD underpinnings.

Login to Give a bone

Yes I know that. Only problem or more like annoying feature is that when I open a ASD file with vanilla Autocad it loads all ASD profiles etc. and this freezes Acad for short time that feels like eternity. But I think I don't have this problem anymore since I have now 2013 installed and vanilla and ASD both are installed separately. Just like durentech also mentioned.