See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Detailing a multi building (campus) project

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Detailing a multi building (campus) project

You could do that, but you'll need to remember a few things when it comes to productivity. If you have separate models, and you're going to document everything from a "composite" model, You'll need to close the big composite model every time you want to "fix" something in one of the links. You can't have a linked model and a composite model open at the same time. So that's 5-10 min every time that happens. Hence the desire to do this all in one file.
    One thing you may be able to do is have your interiors group create the detail in their model and in the comp model you can cut the section, turn off your model and use the "By Linked View" option and select the detail they'd like to cut. Still not ideal, but an option I think.
    As for importing or linking in cad files, IMHO you're better off leaving cad in cad and creating dummy sheets and details in revit. I don't think Adesk has resolved all the issues yet. If I were going to do something like that, I'd go the jpeg route. Print the cad detail as a jpeg and insert that jpeg into your detail view. Less to worry about with how the graphics (text, hatch, dims...) look.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by david_peterson View Post
    You could do that, but you'll need to remember a few things when it comes to productivity. If you have separate models, and you're going to document everything from a "composite" model, You'll need to close the big composite model every time you want to "fix" something in one of the links. You can't have a linked model and a composite model open at the same time. So that's 5-10 min every time that happens. Hence the desire to do this all in one file.
    I guess I was thinking of this scenario as if you had an exterior and an interior model. The interior model was linked into the exterior model and all the annotations were done in the exterior model....or vice versa. This would be annoying I guess since one of the great things about Revit is that you can use your views as working....like in an interior elevation realizing the ceiling was too low...It would have to be moved in another file. I suppose if you had an entire team working you could just coordinate with your team.

I guess my lesson learned here is stick to one giant model until it gets unmanagable or that it is a campus project..then I guess you've got the hoops to jump through. Whatevs....I'm getting a headache.

Login to Give a bone

... You can't have a linked model and a composite model open at the same time. So that's 5-10 min every time that happens. Hence the desire to do this all in one file.....

You can open a second session of Revit, open the link in it, change it, save it, go back to the main model and reload the link. Ive been doing that for quite some time.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Until you run out of network licenses. If you have 2013 Revit, 2010 Acad you have two licenses checked out. Now opening a second session of Revit checks out another license. Multiply that by 100-125 people and our 250 seats are all used up. Now if network licenses were not version dependent it wouldn't matter.

Cheers,
    Jeff S.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jsteinhauer View Post
    Until you run out of network licenses. If you have 2013 Revit, 2010 Acad you have two licenses checked out. Now opening a second session of Revit checks out another license. Multiply that by 100-125 people and our 250 seats are all used up. Now if network licenses were not version dependent it wouldn't matter.

Cheers,
    Jeff S.
    should've bought a suite - on a serious note, not sure how it works with network lic, but at least with standalone what I suggested works.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by crullier View Post
    should've bought a suite - on a serious note, not sure how it works with network lic, but at least with standalone what I suggested works.
    Should have bought a suite? Do you work for adesk or something? If you have 200 people in an office, how many of them would you say are using that suite to the fullest? And even then, you can't do it on a network lic. Maybe something has changed, but I can't open a network lic of RA and a network lic of RS and have both models open and retain the links. The link always gets unloaded from it's host when you open it. So you'll still be spending time to open and close and reload models all day long.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jsteinhauer View Post

Cheers,
    Jeff S.
    I can see how this might occassionaly be an issue but I think it's pretty infrequent that someone has two sessions of Revit open. Once in a great while I might open another file in another session to quickly change something and then I close it after the change is made. If you assume both models are active and have project teams working on them it's probably easier and better just to communicate with your collegues the changes you need.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

It is an issue, because we hit a wall on licenses already, because of using different versions of Adesk products checks out additional licenses.

Jeff S.

Login to Give a bone

Should have bought a suite? Do you work for adesk or something? ...
    sort off... either way relax it was honestly a joke.

All AUGI, all the time Duncan Lithgow's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by kmarquis View Post
    If you assume both models are active and have project teams working on them it's probably easier and better just to communicate with your colleagues the changes you need.
    That's the situation in my project, the people drawing the details are not allowed to change building geometry without coordinating with other. We also have enough people working at any given time that one can just walk around and find someone with that model open, make the change, sync, and get back to work. But I can see how this problem becomes significant with multi model buildings with a small number of users and limited licenses.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123